Best Motor Mounts - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best Motor Mounts
Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:32 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to find what would be the best motor mounts for my '92 Sunbird 3.1L. From what I can find it's limited as parts are not made too much for these cars now. I've seen Anchor (saw a bad review on those, poor quality), Pioneer Auto (more $$$ but doesn't always mean better), DEA, Enginetech, all mostly from the likes of Rockauto or CarID

I'm wondering if everyone could give their opinions of what they've used and their experience with it.

Thanks a lot everyone

Re: Best Motor Mounts
Wednesday, August 21, 2019 12:56 AM
Your best bet is to remove all the old rubber from original mounts and fill them with shore 80A polyurethane. It will require you to make a simple jig to hold the anchors in the correct place until the poly cures. This will give you very long lasting mounts. Vibration is minimal.
Another option is to fill the voids in new ones with 3M Windo-weld 08609. You can also use Loctite PL Premium construction adhesive. The Windo-weld is more expensive, but better suited for this, since once cured isn't as hard as the Loctite. Thus less vibration.

Here is a good thread on how to do it:
https://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/poor-motor-mount-life-t135986.html
Friday, August 23, 2019 6:16 AM
Thanks a lot Butch, I think my plan will be to get new mounts and fill with the poly, should solve any future problems. Since I store the car for the winter, I'll have time to work on them & there will be lots of time for the poly to cure.
Friday, August 23, 2019 6:48 AM
I just reread your post, "remove old rubber and fill with poly", maybe I won't need to buy new mounts unless there is metal issues.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search