Flywheel Inspection Shield - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Flywheel Inspection Shield
Saturday, June 13, 2020 6:53 AM

Does this exist? I am about to replace the starter on my 2001 Cavalier 5-speed manual 2.2.

I have spent a while under there inspecting the situation and what is going to be involved, and - other than the electrical connections, I only see 2 big bolts holding the starter on. Is there something else? What am I missing? I keep hearing conflicting information about some sort of bellhousing cover or "flywheel inspection shield" but I don't see anything down there to take off in that area where the starter slides into place. The only additional bolts I do see are two huge, enormous (I would say 17mm) things that appear more like how the transmission connects to the engine, not really associated with the starter.

Can someone let me know what the story is. There must be a difference between 2.4 and/or auto trans. I can't find the specific procedure or instructions for my exact vehicle. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Flywheel Inspection Shield
Saturday, June 13, 2020 1:54 PM
The manual transaxle doesn't have one. The automatics do.
Sunday, June 14, 2020 5:26 AM
Thank you! That must be why I can't find it.
Friday, July 03, 2020 9:22 AM
Your text to link here...

I'm just gonna leave this here. In case anyone ever wants to chime in - because I am at a stand-still. No progress. Just stuck.
Friday, July 03, 2020 10:59 AM
When you are under the car, can you see the flywheel? If you can see it, the cover is already off. If you can't see it, then it is on there. It may be a 2pc, basically flat thin metal with probably three (maybe 4) 10mm screws holding it to the transmission case. This is a Getrag trans for a V6 car, so I don't know how similar the 4cly may be. I'd think the shield goes on about the same way though.
In the picture,I think the three Green holes are used, not sure about the Red one. Maybe all 4 are. It has been quite a while since I removed a 5spd.
Attachments
Cover Screw Holes.jpg (83k)

Friday, July 03, 2020 11:19 AM
I forgot to mention. If your car is missing the flywheel cover, you should get one. You don't want dirt and water around your clutch.
Friday, July 03, 2020 12:42 PM
OK.

A few things. First - there are no 10mm bolts anywhere. The only bolt causing me a problem is 13mm because whatever it is for, it is blocking access to one of the 2 15mm bolts for the starter. I have searched high and low - all around the whole transmission and I see no hint of a cover, plate, 10mm bolts, etc....and certainly nothing like I have seen in all of the cavalier starter removal videos online.

Second - the only place under the car that I can see any portion of the flywheel is directly under the transmission. There is a hole on the very bottom under the flywheel that is about 1" square - through which you can peek at a few teeth. There is no visibility of the flywheel near the starter, but the starter is where it is supposed to be - bolted in place.

Having already removed this "bending brace" bar, I am reluctant to start unbolting more large bolts without knowing what the heck is going on and why I seem to be working on a car that is a one-of-a-kind compared to all instructions I found online for all Cavaliers. I feel like I am in the twilight zone.
Friday, July 03, 2020 2:26 PM
The cover must be on there then. Without it nearly 1/2 of the of the flywheel is exposed. You have to take the starter off before you can remove the plate,,, maybe.
Get a picture of the bolt (and surrounding area) you are taking about that has to come out before the starter can be removed.
Friday, July 03, 2020 3:01 PM
Is this the bolt you are talking about being in the way? If so, remove it. It is the cover bolt, I believe. Looks larger than 10MM (like maybe 13), but again, I do not know 3rd gen Cavaliers.
Attachments
Starter.jpg (96k)

Friday, July 03, 2020 3:07 PM
Don't know if you have seen this video, but WATCH it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wy2tDmfzn0&t=94s
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search