2.0 Turbo Melting Fan - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.0 Turbo Melting Fan
Monday, September 27, 2021 3:23 PM
So far I haven't been able to find anyone with a similar issue, but here's what I've got:

'89 Sunbird GT with the 2.0 turbo engine. Swapped the engine, changed the head gasket, rebuilt the turbo, removed the catalytic converter (was plugged and causing issues). Now the turbo is melting the plastic on the fan.

I've noticed that the fan never kicks on unless the car has just been turned off and engine has been running for a while, long enough to get a bit of heat into it. Is this typical for the fan to do?

Has anyone experienced the fan melting before? What would be the best solution to this issue? So far I've had two thoughts:
1. Remove the fan and see what happens. Not a great idea, but it gets the fan away from the turbo.
2. Figure out how to wire the fan to be on if the engine is running. Figured instead of getting the fan away from the turbo, get the hot air away from the fan. Not sure how effective this would be.

All help appreciated!

Here's pictures of the fan: https://imgur.com/a/ZlsDFsL

Re: 2.0 Turbo Melting Fan
Wednesday, September 29, 2021 12:21 PM
Maybe put some heat insulation padding on the turbo and pipes around it?
Saturday, October 02, 2021 11:34 AM
Your tune is bad, it's running lean, ( too much air ) needs more fuel.

I seen your post on Facebook, the pipe is glowing.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, October 03, 2021 6:33 AM
butch nackley wrote:Maybe put some heat insulation padding on the turbo and pipes around it?

I'd considered it, but that's addressing the symptom instead of the problem. And it'll keep all that heat in the turbo and wreck it faster, and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:Your tune is bad, it's running lean, ( too much air ) needs more fuel.

I seen your post on Facebook, the pipe is glowing.

Doug in P.R.

Pipe is glowing? The car was cold when I took the pictures. I'm assuming you mean the orange pipe, that's the charge pipe. I think that's how they came from the factory.

I'll have to get an OBD1 scanner and have a look-see. The manifold was getting hella hot too. I'll report back eventually once I've had a chance to diagnose. This project is getting less and less attention unfortunately as school and work are picking up. Ah well.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search