R&R water pump and timing belt on 1.8L OHC - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
R&R water pump and timing belt on 1.8L OHC
Sunday, March 13, 2022 10:32 AM
I get a cold start rattle that clears up in about 45 seconds. I've eliminated the water pump, power steering pump and a/c compressor so I think it must be the water pump. It's the original water pump (37 yrs old) with 44K kms, so time to change it and timing belt. I have the shop manual, parts manual, specified water pump wrench and timing belt tension tool as pictured in the shop manual. Before I get started, I'd like to hear from any who have done this work with tips and pitfalls I might encounter. I thank all who respond.
Attachments
Image (1).jpeg (657k)

Re: R&R water pump and timing belt on 1.8L OHC
Sunday, March 13, 2022 1:56 PM
I've done mine ( 92 2.0 OHC) , the only problem I had was with the alternator bracket, couldn't get all the bolts out and the bracket broke, so now only 2 of the bolts are holding it up . Hasn't been a problem in 10 years though. I didn't have the special tool either, so I just winged it with a big pair of Channellocks on the water pump to adjust the belt tension.

My pump was fine , I just changed the belt which had broke after a transmission replacement. I remember the timing mark was one mark off compared to the diagram they show on the cover on top
by the cam when reinstalled.

You have to move the PS pump out of the way also....

Doug in P.R

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, March 13, 2022 5:02 PM
Thanks for the reply and advice. I'll be sure to post when I make the repairs.
Tuesday, May 17, 2022 9:34 PM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:I've done mine ( 92 2.0 OHC) , the only problem I had was with the alternator bracket, couldn't get all the bolts out and the bracket broke, so now only 2 of the bolts are holding it up . Hasn't been a problem in 10 years though. I didn't have the special tool either, so I just winged it with a big pair of Channellocks on the water pump to adjust the belt tension.

My pump was fine , I just changed the belt which had broke after a transmission replacement. I remember the timing mark was one mark off compared to the diagram they show on the cover on top
by the cam when reinstalled.

You have to move the PS pump out of the way also....

Doug in P.R

Good tips here, Doug. We may replace the pump on my friend's new OHC project. Maybe it is good time to replace belt as well. Got to finish installing the suspension and bumper from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler before we can clear the garage.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search