I can't seem to get my cooling fan to spin! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I can't seem to get my cooling fan to spin!
Monday, June 20, 2022 9:31 PM
Hey all! I had complained about how difficult it was to replace my Coil Packs on my 1993 Chevy Cavalier Z24, 3.1l V6, but I eventually got around to doing it. Well, now that the car is running relatively smooth, I've got to start getting ready to run it longer, which means I can't have my engine overheating and exploding coolant everywhere.
To get to the point, I can't get my cooling fan to work. I have been attempting to diagnose the issue for quite some time now with little results. I have:

- Tested the cooling fan motor with a 12v battery, confirming that it isn't the fan that is faulty.
    - Checked the fusible link, which has zero resistance and appears to be in perfect condition.
    - Tested the relay, which works like brand new.
    - Checked the ground for the 12v power source for the fan
    - Start the car with the AC on full blast
    - Disconnected the coolant temperature sensor.

From what I understand, having the Air Conditioner turned on should kick on the radiator fan, and disconnecting the coolant temperature sensor should as well. What is my next step in diagnosing my fan issue? Thanks again all!

Re: I can't seem to get my cooling fan to spin!
Tuesday, June 21, 2022 2:17 AM
Do you have a service manual?
If not, I'll get you some pictures of the pages on the subject this evening.
Tuesday, June 21, 2022 9:31 AM
I have the Chilton's manual. Do you need pictures of the electrical diagrams? It might seem simple, but for me I can't figure out how to make sense of them all.
Tuesday, June 21, 2022 2:16 PM
This may be exactly like the Chilton's has in it, I don't know.

Hopefully this will at least give you some points to check there is current flowing.
Attachments
Part 1.jpg (164k)
Page 1 of 2.jpg (245k)
Part 2.jpg (194k)
Wiring.jpg (124k)
Component Locations.jpg (242k)

Tuesday, June 21, 2022 2:17 PM
And here is Page 2 of 2. I couldn't upload all of them together.
Attachments
Page 2 of 2.jpg (189k)

Tuesday, June 21, 2022 8:56 PM
This will be immensely helpful. What manual is this? Thank you so much!
Wednesday, June 22, 2022 12:52 AM
You're welcome.
The book is the factory service manual, book 2. It is for the 1994, but is likely very similar, if not exactly the same for 1993.
Sunday, August 14, 2022 8:28 PM
butch nackley wrote:This may be exactly like the Chilton's has in it, I don't know.

Hopefully this will at least give you some points to check there is current flowing.

Thank you for sharing! I'll see if this is what my friend needs for his new '94 Z24 project. The previous owner wasn't able to fix the AC issue. Got to finish installing the led lights and truck accessories on the Silverado tomorrow before we can clear the garage and take her in.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search