2001 manual shift cables - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 manual shift cables
Tuesday, September 13, 2022 9:04 PM
Cavalier shift cables appear to be stretched. When trying to go to third it grinds. If I get out and manually move the lever on the trans and have someone let the clutch out it won't grind. When trying to adjust the cable it is already bottomed out on the shifter side(white threads touching back of lock clip) I have been trying to find shift cables with no luck. So three questions, Does anyone know where I could find shift cables? Could I cut the end of the white threads on the shifter side to allow more adjustment? Or would cobalt shift cables work? From looking at the pictures of cobalt cables they look very similar. I have searched the forums and could not find this info any where. If I missed it sorry.

Re: 2001 manual shift cables
Friday, September 16, 2022 9:53 AM
Shift cables are getting hard to find. There are some aftermarket ones you can run across every once in a while. But their quality is in question. If you can't kind OEM, I'd suggest searching for a shop that makes push - pull cables and have a set made by them. They will likely last much longer than the ones Pioneer and ATP make.
If you have the part numbers for the cables you need, you might find them on ebay.
Re: 2001 manual shift cables
Sunday, October 09, 2022 3:48 PM
Pontiac Sunfire cable will probably be the same if you can find them. I used to work for GM also.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search