How do I get the CKP sensor out? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How do I get the CKP sensor out?
Saturday, August 26, 2006 10:06 PM
I went to the junkyard to get a new crank position sensor today, pulled two sensors... one from a 2000 and one from a 96. I wasn't sure if mine was two wire or the three wire variety, so I grabbed both to be sure. Well... I get under mine to swap it out (5spd and easily accessible from underneath thankfully), tried to remove it from the block and the plastic outer part broke off the sensor. Now the sensor body is stuck in the block, and I can't think of a way to get it out.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

1997 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2-door

Re: How do I get the CKP sensor out?
Saturday, August 26, 2006 10:38 PM
Easy-out. It's a tool for taking broke things out.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 9:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing, it's going to be tough to fit a drill in there though. I might have to pull the right axle for that.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:30 AM
take the base pan off and try to push it out with a screw driver, i did this about a week ago, i couldnt get to puh it with a screwdriver so i got a lond rod and bent the top of it and bet it out with a hammer, the only way i could get it out
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:46 AM
I just did this last week..
I squirted some brake cleaner around the sensor and I used needle noses to wiggle the damn thing loose.. Took forevvvver lol.. but it worked.. .
Remember, when you put the new one in you'll have to the Crank position learn with the new sensor..

It'll have to be with a Tech 2.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:09 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:I just did this last week..
I squirted some brake cleaner around the sensor and I used needle noses to wiggle the damn thing loose.. Took forevvvver lol.. but it worked.. .
Remember, when you put the new one in you'll have to the Crank position learn with the new sensor..

you might be lucky and not have to do the relearn.... i replaced mine 2 weeks ago and it started right up , has ran fine for 2 weeks now.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:31 AM
What are the symptoms of a bad crank position sensor? Why would one need to replace it? Only if it throws a code? thanks.

mtbon
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:23 PM
mtbon wrote:What are the symptoms of a bad crank position sensor? Why would one need to replace it? Only if it throws a code? thanks.

Theoretically the car should not run. Although I had a "faulty crank position sensor" code and changed it just in case, my car was still running at the time.
Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:02 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:I just did this last week..

Changed mine last weekend, and everything worked, is there something about a relearn i might have missed?

Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:53 AM
I guess its not a MUST to do the relearn, but I was just told you had to whenever the crank, or the crank sensor comes out of the engine... My engine was completely apart and thats the main reason why I did it, just to make sure everything was right when I went to fire it up..

Now since most of you never had the crank out of the car and are just changing the sensor, a relearn may not be necessary.. Not sure though..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Sunday, September 03, 2006 10:03 AM
Some of the symptoms that 've been having are misfiring and hard starting when it's warm. I assume it has something to do with tthe CKP sensor because I get an intermittent code for CKP circut failure. The car does run without the CKP sensor plugged in, but the CEL is lit and it runs in limp mode. My guess it it fires the coils based on the information it recieves from the camshaft position sensor instead of both. I have a new one, I just need to get what's left of the old one out before I can get that in.

Monday, September 04, 2006 12:44 AM
I just checked my MT2500 and it has a CPS relearn option on the menu for the 97 Pontiac with the 2.4L. I've found that Snap-on really got its act together for this new programmable/upgradable cartridge. Good stuff.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search