Power Steering Issue - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power Steering Issue
Friday, February 23, 2007 1:57 PM
on my 2000 Z (2.4 DOHC Toyota Cavalier Motor). whenever i turn the wheel all the way in either direction... my power steering starts whining and sounding like there is an air bubble in it... after a little while it works itself out and wont whine again until my turn the wheel all the way again...

Im not losing any PS fluid
when its in this mode - the fluid looks like it has an air bubble in it

so ive ruled out a leak... but im wondering how air is getting in to it...

Could the pump being going bad?

Re: Power Steering Issue
Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:38 PM
With the front end of the car up in the air (don't want to simply be rubbing your tires on concrete/asphalt when not moving) and the engine running (block rear tires for safety, please), have someone slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times.

Have the cap off of your PS pump reservoir and watch the fluid...with or without the noise, if you see ANY bubbles at all, that's air in the system. Air pockets can be tricky, and like to move around and hide. That's why (if it's an air issue) the noise will appear and disappear. Continuing to turn the steering wheel (slowly) from lock to lock will eventually force the air out. While not on a J, I've seen extreme cases where it has taken literally hours of that to get it all the air out.

As an alternative, you could pay a shop to do a PS system flush and that should resolve it also.

If you don't see any bubbles after several back and forth turns, then most likely not an air pocket. You'd most likely be correct in assuming the pump is the culprit, then, killing itself slowly. Don't rule out the steering rack, though. It would be worth having a shop diagnose it to make sure.

-Ferrite
Sunday, February 25, 2007 2:05 AM
i did the last PS Flush on it back about a year ago... i dunno if that makes a difference...

I'll deffinately try that and see where that goes...

thanks

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 5:16 AM
I think I have the same issue. My PS is going nuts when i turn to the right and left. I can hear it from inside the car. What i dont get is when i turn to the right it makes a griding noise.

---------------------------------------------------------
The Chronicles of Dust
View the website and read the Novel.
http://dustnovel.webs.com

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:59 PM
Maybe the power steering cover is defective, just like the gas caps.
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 5:31 AM
I have been having a problem with the wining noise latley. It seems like there is just high pressure in the system and opening the cap relieves the pressure. It does seem like the pressure builds up enough for PS fluid to seep out around the cap.

Has anyone else has this problem or know of a fix for it?

Could it be an air bubble in the system and turning it from lock to lock when up on jacks with the cap off would help or no?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

||Click to visit my Cardomain page|Nebraska Region SCCA||
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search