What is this and fuel in oil - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What is this and fuel in oil
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:34 PM
Hello guys
I have lurked here for a while but never posted. I have a problem I hope you all could help me with.
I own a 96 Sunfire with the 2.2. Here's the story.

I has a transmission swap recently done (old one was bad), and shortly thereafter I could not start the vehicle.
I found this wired to the constant hot on the starter:

I found that this constantly runs the fuel pump when connected to current.
I know this doesn't belong on the starter, but I can't figure out where it goes. I grounded it and was able to start the vehicle, but it ran rough, then there was gas leaking onto the block
from somewhere near the throttle body. I pulled the plugs and they are soaking wet as is the crankcase. There is much fuel in the oil.

My first question is where the hell does that four wire connector post on? I can't find it in the GM manual, but I'm not a master of that by any means. It comes out of the front main wiring grouping, but doen't look long enough
to connect to anything but ground.
My second question is what could cause such severe fuel leakage? The battery had been dead for about a month before I tried to start it, so I am assuming it wouldn't be that constant fuel pump thing.
Thanks for reading and I hope you can help

Re: What is this and fuel in oil
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:09 PM
You see that stud on the bell housing bolt in the pic behind the wire? bingo.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:19 PM
Thank you sir. I will proceed to hook that up post haste.

Any ideas on the fuel?
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:31 PM
I would like to note the wire goes on the stud and not under the bellhousing bolt itself.

As far as the fuel in oil, you mentioned the car has been sitting, I would just change the oil and see if it returns.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:36 PM
Thank you so much. Will report back tomorrow.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:38 PM
triple post

but if it's leaking fuel like you say, something is up. You say it's coming from around the throttle body? The fuel injector is pretty close to the throttle body from what I can see.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:45 PM
Yes I was thinking about them leaking down, but while it was running, I wasn't getting smoke from the tail pipe. Was smoking pretty bad at the bottom of the exhaust manifold then stopped.
Then just smoking from the gas on the block. I cut it off after that.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:05 PM
Well, if your car is a 96 2.2 sunfire, you should only have one injector.

Have somebody start the car while you watch back there, have something to put out a fire just in case, but you should only be running it for a few seconds.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:42 PM
The 95 to 97 use the same 2.2...should have 4 injectors.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:54 PM
John Tate wrote:The 95 to 97 use the same 2.2...should have 4 injectors.

Negative. 95 didn't have a camshaft position sensor. All 2.2 info --> 2.2 growing pains

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:37 PM
Cavalier Zzzz...24 wrote:
John Tate wrote:The 95 to 97 use the same 2.2...should have 4 injectors.

Negative. 95 didn't have a camshaft position sensor. All 2.2 info --> 2.2 growing pains

I stand corrected.

Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:27 PM
Well I'm back and it's not good.

Cylinders 2-4 are misfiring because I can't even get it to start. Those plugs are soaked in oil. Plus, it seems there are metal shavings on the threads, feels like sand.

Cylinder 1(old) plug is dry and not discolored. I sense a rebuild or new engine here, I just changed the plugs as well.

What do you think?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search