Disappearing coolant! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Disappearing coolant!
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:36 PM
Hey,
I have a 2000 Cavalier and it appears to be leaking coolant. In October (8000 KM ago) I had a rad flush done on it and I was quite surprised to have my low coolant sensor come on today on the way home from work. The car hasn't been overheating, nor is there anything on my drive way. I've taken a look around the car and I can't see any leaks. I was wondering if anyone on here knows the common places that I should check to see if I do have a rad leak or any tests that I could perform/have performed.
Some more info on the car;
year: 2000
172,000 KM
Synthetic oil (my oil level has been fine)

Thank you very much for your time!

Re: Disappearing coolant!
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:10 PM
if the car is in fact low on coolant without a puddle in any of it's regular parking spaces, the only resolution is a head gasket leak, however small.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:19 PM
Does he mean ICM?
Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:40 AM
Hmm... I had a 99 camaro with the 3800 II v6 that did the disappearing coolant act. Ocassionaly it would have a random misfire on multiple cylinders. It ended up being a bad lower intake manifold gasket allowing just the slightest amount of coolant to get into the combustion chamber. First car that I've ever had that burned coolant ! Rent a block tester from autozone and use it to check to make sure it's not a head gasket problem, if it checks out, it might be the intake manifold gasket but then again I'm not sure if any coolant flows in or around the intake manifold on the cavaliers. The dexcool is notorious for eating gaskets, at least on the 3800 engines. Also could be your coolant is mixing in with the oil if it's a cracked head gasket, had that happen on a 3.1 v6. It ran great and the oil never got low, but the coolant did. Check for moisture coming out of the tailpipe.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search