How do i adjust lifters after head gasket repair? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How do i adjust lifters after head gasket repair?
Saturday, June 01, 2013 6:10 AM
just put my engine back together after changing my head gasket and need to add oil and coolant. was told i need to adjust my lifters. have no idea how to do that. i know theres something about getting the cylinders to TDC in order but don't know how to find that???

Re: How do i adjust lifters after head gasket repair?
Saturday, June 01, 2013 6:30 AM
also, i seen something online saying if they're hydraulic lifters they will self adjust? this is all new to me as ive never messed with lifters. how do i tell if i have hydraulic lifters or not?
Sunday, June 02, 2013 2:08 AM
Well you don't technically adjust the lifters. You adjust the rocker arms via the clearance between the rocker and the valve. I know 0 about the 2.2 motors so I can't tell you what lifters they are. But heres a quick explination, If they are solid you would need to put #1 piston at TDC compression stroke and adjust the valves on certain cylinders (not sure of the order) by checking clearance with a feeler gauge. then roll the motor over one revolution to bring up #6 on compression and adjust the remaining valves from there. As for hydraulic they require no clearance on the rockers. A Haynes manual would do you wonders right now I think... all the info would be there.

Have a nice day.
Sunday, June 02, 2013 2:44 AM
all stock jbody engines are hydraulic lifter. don't sweat it.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 3:43 PM
yeah, i figured that out. any answers on this new question? i changed my head gasket bacause i had an exhaust leak into my coolant... changed the head gasket intake gasket exhaust gasket and it seems to have gotten worse. had the head milled, had to get a head saver shim. used copper spray on the head gasket. got the engine put back together and started it up and still had exhaust fumes in coolant after bleeding the system. maybe i didnt get all the air out? idk, it was coming out of the reservoir pretty viciously...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search