Cam timming help PLEASE! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cam timming help PLEASE!
Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:05 AM
This whole installing the head thing is taking me forever, and im confused about something. The cam lobes go in the same way i took them out, right? But why dont the cam gear's marking with the triangle and diamond point the same way? They are supposed to be at 10 and 2. But the markings are no where near it when the lobes are in the right spot. If i move the marking to 10 and 2, the cams fit fine. I'm not sure what i do.

I'm so confused, someone please help me. After this, it should be all easy so please help me

Re: Cam timming help PLEASE!
Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:31 AM
i think i take the gear off, turn the cam to where the lobes are supposed to be, then put the gear back on where the marking is supposed to be.

Is this right?
Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:52 AM
oh boy... This is gonna be fun.

The marks aren't the easiest to line up. If I recall correctly, to get the colored links to match the marks on the gears it may take up to 100 full revolutions. Something like that. You should have put a mark on the chain and the gear so you knew where they are supposed to be.

The diamond and triangle should be at the 10 and 2 position, approximately 45deg. Yes, the lobes should be at the same angle as when you removed them. Did you use anything to hold the chain and gears in place as you swapped each one?

Considering the position you're in now, I would recommend taking the side of the engine off and properly timing everything.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:57 AM
i'm trying to put the stock ones back on, i put on a new cylinder head. I left the gears on the cams when i took them off. I didn't chage that, so why does the lobes match with the markings?
Oh and my links aren't colored. I just have 3 silver links.
Sunday, February 27, 2005 10:27 AM
Does anyone know how i get the gear markings to be in the right positions as the lobes, because i never took the gears off.
Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:18 AM
I was a little confused, now it's making more sense.

It doesn't matter if you took the cams off the gears or not. The cams are properly lined up on the gears and can only go on one way. You now have to time the gears to the marks on the chain, not the lobes to the marks. Some chains have three silver ones, mine had red and green colored links.

If you changed the head, you should still have the side of the engine apart, right? Where the crank pull is off, and you can see the timing chain where it goes around the crank shaft with the white mark.. Unless you already put that back together.

Hit me up on AIM: Fullmetalseele, I'll search for some pics and try to explain things better.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:46 AM
if you search I made big @!#$in post about how to time an eco engine its called somethign like Faq ecotec cam installation and cam timing or somehting lik ethat

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search