custom catback exhaust at school - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
custom catback exhaust at school
Friday, February 25, 2005 6:51 AM
hey whats up. well im planning to make a custom catback for my 00 2200 cavy at school for my second semester project in auto tech. the instructor is willing to help me out. we have a compression bender and he assured me we can make a catback for my car, since he has been doing it for old school hotrods. my questions are:

1. should i use galvanized steel or aluminized steel piping. we have both in the shop but the galvanized steel looks like that post u put on chain link fences. Both will be free so i just want to see which one is better.and it will be 2.25 inch piping.

2. we dont have a tig welder at school. will the arc or the mig welder be good enough to weld the piping together? will they weld on the aluminized piping?

3. our instructor says that compression bends are almost as good as mandrel bends is this true?

4. at the muffler shop by where i live they have a 24" dynomax glasspack and also a 24" flowteck purple hornie. My insructor said the purple hornie will have a deeper sound wich is what i want. i dont want something to loud but i want to be able to hear it. is 24" inches to long or too short for the sound i want? which one should i get? both have 2.25 inlets/outlets

oh and if i dont answer over the weekend sorry. goning out of town with a friend to a car show for the weekend. thanks

Re: custom catback exhaust at school
Friday, February 25, 2005 11:53 AM
come on someone please help me out!

Friday, February 25, 2005 12:30 PM
I would use a Cherry Bomb glasspack. They got that mellow, rich, low tone.

Check out my ride at: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/738596
Friday, February 25, 2005 12:35 PM
if all your gonna use is a glass-pack it's gonna be ridiculously LOUD

I ain't callin u a gold digga,but you ain't messin wit a broke cracka
Friday, February 25, 2005 2:43 PM
A crush bender is not the best thing to use to build a performance cat-back... but if you use bigger size (2.25" for NA or more for Fi/nitrous) you should see a gain. the best for performance is a mendrel bent exhaust. It cost more but think about your application.

You should get a good silencer dynomax, walker, or any other big make and add a resonator, the longest you can fit... it will help to remove the raspiness and the "bees" sound.

good luck!

zouiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
-What's that noise?
-nutting, it's just my neighbour racing can (read civic).
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:47 PM
Quote:

A crush bender is not the best thing to use to build a performance cat-back... but if you use bigger size (2.25" for NA or more for Fi/nitrous) you should see a gain. the best for performance is a mendrel bent exhaust. It cost more but think about your application.

He said compression bender not crush bender I believe the compression bender is almost as good as an mandrel bend......crush bending leaves ripples in the tubing creating a no so smooth inner wall on the tubing which COULD hinder performance! just my .02...

Just Wait and See..........
Friday, February 25, 2005 10:11 PM
The mig welder will do a fine job, just make sure that you grind off the aluminized (zinc) coating where you are going to weld for the best results. Also if you hit the weld with some Rustoleoum (sp?) after it cools it will help with rust right there.

Friday, February 25, 2005 11:21 PM
ive don custom exhaust for about 6 years now and a compression bend will work fine the only time you really have to worry about that is if you have like 800+ hp as far as the weld a mig will be fine thats what i use at the shop and you dont have to grind the coating off it will weld perfectly fine grinding it is what will cause it to rust and all the pipe we get at the shop is aluminized ad will prob last for at least 7-10 years i did duels on my first cav (95 z24) about 6 years ago and it is still holding up fine better than the stock pipes hope i could help and good luck
Monday, February 28, 2005 6:45 AM
thanx. so the purple hornie is gonna be too loud? so i should go with the glass pack instead? what else can i use to make the exhaust more quiet because as ecofire.com said with just a glasspack it will be way to loud.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search