F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:21 PM
Hey,

So just put Amsoil Signature series 5W-30 Synthetic oil. Cost me $65 for oil. I wanted to try the best and after mad research that is what I got. Engine does not cam out like it used to. Smoother for sure!

I now want to use Amsoil Manual Transmission fluid instead of my valvoline synethetic. Just wanna make it clear, wanted to switch to a different fluid after 30 K. Valvoline worked fine.

Which transmission fluids for the F23 getrag is the best? I hear just go for GM synchromesh. Can't go wrong. And clue me in again please, but I can use an ATF fluid in a manual transmission? i Do I also have to use Dexron III fluid only or can it be IV? Don't use synchromesh, some say its fine..... Any opinions on the Amsoil ?

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

Thanks guys!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:30 PM
Auto tranny fluid only in the f23. No manual tranny fluids or synchro fluids!!!!!!1!!!!11!!!!one!!!!!eleven!!!!!.
I hear the amsoil is amazing for the first 10k miles and then kind of goes meh. The mobile 1 is supposedly the best all around to use.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Re: F23 Getrag Manual Transmission Oil - Which is the best fluid to maximize performance?
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:36 PM
You can use synchromesh in our cars, the gm service bulletin for bearing chatter calls for synchromesh fluid in place of the atf

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:39 PM
Damn I need to read the bulletins more, thanks phill.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:41 PM
In 2000 (for sure) and maybe 2001 GM said to use MTF. By 2002 and forward, GM said to use ATF. Mostly for ease of use in colder climates.
I spent over $300 in fluids testing tranny fluids many years ago, and this was the best; best in many reasons. My old boss's brother 7-second Malibu uses it and will not use anything else.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:49 PM
I have heard this is the best, forgot to mention that in my post. Only $6.99 a quart at Advanced. GM's fluid is $15!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:23 PM
I run the trickshift in my getrag. No noises or problems so far and Im not exactly nice to it. Its good stuff especially for the price.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:30 PM
Mines noisy as @!#$ with mobil 1 synthetic atf

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:31 AM
I run Royal Purple ATF in mine and it's a lot quieter then it was with the factory fluid. Still makes a little noise at low speeds but much better then before. Also my first gear engagement has gotten easier and my 2-3 shift seems a lot better use to miss that shift often on hard pulls. I've also head Mobil 1 and Trick shift are good to. Just offering advice on my experience.
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:03 AM
I am running Amsoil ATF synthic in my F23 HHR. I also, over filled it per TSB that is on here. It made shifting in cold weather a @!#$ ton better.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:01 AM
2 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF in mine, been like that for the last 50k.

Worked fine when I drove in winter, makes no noise in mine.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:43 AM
This is gonna be tough for me. RP is liked by some and not so favored by others. Mobil 1, Amsoil, GM synchromesh (Pennzoil) or B&M. I just have to pick one!!

Friday, July 01, 2011 7:32 AM
Yup basicly. It's all preferance and price range. I believe anything is pretty much better then the stock fluid though.
Sunday, July 03, 2011 12:22 PM
Thanks RED. ill post u what I go with

Sunday, July 03, 2011 12:53 PM
i'm now running RP atf and locing it. i like B&M over stock. Hurst over B&M. RP over Hurst

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 03, 2011 4:03 PM
Really? hmm, I'll look into RP some more lol.. What particular kind did you get? Synchromesh or ATF?

Sunday, July 03, 2011 4:32 PM
ATF

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:35 AM
RED wrote:Yup basicly. It's all preferance and price range. I believe anything is pretty much better then the stock fluid though.

It's a manual trans, as long as it's slippery, wet, and intended for something with gears (although many older Asian vehicles specify engine oil) it's probably ok. When I replaced my trans all I had around was Mercon IV (Mag1 IIRC), it's been fine for several thousand miles. And the really funny thing is it's a LOT better than the Dexron I had in the original for 120~ishK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 Cavalier
2.2 Ecotec Supercharged w/ 2.9" pulley
Charge air cooler
Poly bushings - lower control arm and engine/trans
Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:38 AM
Go with the B&M synthetic trick shift atf. The fluid GM says to use in the TSB is like shifting through mud when it's cold out. The B&M fluid as well as overfilling it per the TSB fixed the poor cold shift and the rattle noise.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:49 AM
Regular is 2 quarts, how much you guys overfilling?

Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:39 AM
1.8 is normal. 2 quarts is good.

Royal Purple is better than B&M.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:11 AM
GM's maintenance says 1.8qts
GM's TSB calls for 2.6qts
So 2.0qts will suffice.
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:

Negative.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:02 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:GM's maintenance says 1.8qts
GM's TSB calls for 2.6qts
So 2.0qts will suffice.
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:

Negative.

No positive. In my testing and experience the Royal Purple ATF is beeter than B&M, and Hurst is better then B&M. B&M is better than stock.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:40 PM
2.0 Quarts is what I'll go with. B & M Trick Shift is my choice guys. I'll post up once its done.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:15 PM
Mine with 2 quarts is still noisy, probably add another half quart

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search