Flowmaster 44.. Good muffler? .. Any suggestions? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Flowmaster 44.. Good muffler? .. Any suggestions?
Friday, June 08, 2012 5:33 PM
I heard about the Flowmaster 44 that was on a Cobalt. I guess this muffler is designed for cobalts? It would be going on my 2.2 cavalier coupe.

Any other good mufflers or exhaust systems for cavaliers?

Re: Flowmaster 44.. Good muffler? .. Any suggestions?
Friday, June 08, 2012 6:43 PM
I'd go with Borla, Magnaflow or the Cobalt SS muffler. I have only hear say to back it up, but supposidly flowmasters are just loud and are actually fairly restrictive still.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, June 08, 2012 6:56 PM
I'm running a dynomax super turbo on my 2200 and I've got no complaints.

Friday, June 08, 2012 6:58 PM
flowmasters really are terrible for flow. want good sound and excellent flow, go with either a dynomax superturbo or a SS/TC muffler.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, June 09, 2012 6:58 PM
they sound good but on our cars the super 40 sounds better it is a deeper sound. i liked my super40 when i had it. but to me at wot a spintech sounds better.

see ya!

Saturday, June 09, 2012 9:17 PM
Buy a Factory Cobalt SS/SC / SS/TC from someone who downgraded to the flowmaster on their cobalt.

Saturday, June 09, 2012 9:18 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote: downgraded to the flowmaster

describes pretty much ANY flowmaster purchase.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:57 AM
I was going to use a hushpower 2 shorty for a resinator, but it didn't fit with the cutout and ron header. So now its just a conversation piece in my shed.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 6:47 PM
A flowmaster super40 or a 44 flows more cfm than a stock sssc muffler

see ya!

Monday, June 11, 2012 11:07 AM
I can say the super 44 was not designed for the cobalt....maybe the 60 series for sport compacts.....lol those numbers are given to the flowmaster line as per the size of the muffler 4", 4.4", 6", 6.5", ect., ect. and then they have the delta line with an extra baffle blah blah..boring. if you want "flow" basically anything you can look straight through is going to give you flow...as far as sound anything with an "invasive" baffle system is probably your best bet-can't look through it. I guess once you decide on what your looking for it becomes an individual preferance thing......imo flowmaster is a good company-- I run them on the mustang--...ehh mainly used for muscle car apps though, and most do have the baffles in them which do restrict flow(their DBX series is straight-through I assume), but unless your running boost in the 300+ area I doubt you'll notice anything maybe a cpl HP but thats nothing when it comes to having what you want.....Check this out for 'inner' pics of Flowmaster products
Monday, June 11, 2012 11:20 AM
O we used to sell them lol sorry guess that would explain a lot
This is all copy and paste, though I assume you already checked into all this?

The muffler that started it all, the original 40 Series Muffler is an aggressive sounding street/strip muffler that delivers a powerful “Flowmaster Sound”. If you really want to hear your exhaust system – from both inside and outside of the vehicle, the 40 Series is for you. Available in either aluminized steel or 409S Stainless Steel and fully MIG welded for durability. 4" Thick x 9.5" Wide x 13" Long with inlet/outlet sizes from 2.25" up to 3".

Flowmaster’s Super 44 Muffler uses the same Delta Flow Technology found in our larger Super 40 mufflers. The Super 44 delivers a powerful rich tone and is the most aggressive, deepest sounding, highest performing four-inch case street muffler we’ve eve built! Constructed from 16-guage aluminized or 409S Stainless Steel and fully MIG-welded for maximum durability. 4" Thick x 9.5" Wide x 13" Long with inlet/outlet sizes from 2" up to 3"

60 Series 'delta' flow---All 60 Series Mufflers feature Delta Flow Technology to increase horsepower and torque in most four and six cylinder vehicles. The 60 Series mufflers have shown significant improvements in mileage, helping to save fuel on many commuter vehicles, the mellow tone making for a pleasant and quiet driving experience. Just by adding a larger diameter tailpipe and Flowmaster stainless tip you can create a deeper tone overall inside and out. Constructed of 16-gauge aluminized steel and fully MIG-welded for maximum durability. 5" Thick x 10" Wide x 13" Long with inlet/outlet sizes of 2" and 2.25".

The "Super" Series the numbers still apply but aren't all exact..but is stil considered the "case size" in the eyes of flowmaster...

The Super 40 Muffler was developed from our Top Ten race muffler lineup for use on the street and strip. Utilizing Delta Flow Technology, this muffler gives the best performance to higher horsepower vehicles. The Super 40 features a black, oversize case, which keeps the resonance down while the deep outside tone says it’s a Flowmaster! Constructed of 16-gauge aluminized steel and fully MIG-welded for maximum durability. 5" Thick x 10" Wide x 13.5" Long with inlet/outlet sizes from 2.25" up to 3".

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:41 PM
A super 40 on a ecotec powered cav or balt sounds good without being too loud. Myself i cannot stand the sound of a magnaflow. to me borla sounds great but it is a different tone spintech's sound good and nasty in a good way

see ya!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:01 AM
novaracer wrote:A flowmaster super40 or a 44 flows more cfm than a stock sssc muffler
regardless of the actual CFM measurement... on the dyno, they both have the same wheel horse power... My tuner took about 15 different mufflers, and swapped them out and dynoed. None of them made any power over the LSJ muffler.

One is loud... one is not... the point isn't to be loud, the point is to be fast...

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:01 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:One is loud... one is not... the point isn't to be loud, the point is to be fast...

to some, the point is to be loud.

not saying I condone that behavior, but not everyone is the same. some, in the case of our good friend Phewes, he uses his for the vibration so he can feel when to shift, only backside to it, his car is bloody loud when going down the road.

I need a new sig.
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:04 PM
they make shift lights for that...

i dunno... in my opinion, where it comes to All Motor (N/A) Performance, which is the theme of this sub-forum, its all about performance and power, not loud obnoxious noise that doesn't increase power and it probably reduces it at that.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:35 AM
I currently I have a Flowmaster super 44 and have loved it for last 2+ years. Can't comment on flow but it sounds great.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:49 AM
ecotec 2005 sedan auto with 2.5" mandrel ss pipe and flowmaster super 40, love it everyday, had it on for almost 4 years now

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:19 PM
if your exhaust still has a cat converter and an aftermarket resonator and you have your mind set on a flowmaster the 60 series is the one you want. sounds deep no drone if you have a cat converter and a resonator installed longest thrush perforated glasspack would be my choice you will have a nice deep exhaust tone at idle, mellow tone mid rpm and at high rpm it will get quiet enough to where you can here the cold air intake if you have one. if you DONT have a cat conver. or resonator it will sound raspy as ass.
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:44 PM
first muffler i put on my eco cav was a 60 series, it was ok by itself with stock everything but when i upgraded to the 2.5" piping it didnt sound any better it just sounded really tinny like rattly even it sounded ike total crap, put on the super 40 and boom my cav sounds hella mean. Deep, rumbley, loud, i like it and many compliments on it and asking if i have a v6 cavalier all the time. the 60 series is fine for stock setup other than that it cant take the flow.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:56 PM
DJ Beefy wrote:first muffler i put on my eco cav was a 60 series, it was ok by itself with stock everything but when i upgraded to the 2.5" piping it didnt sound any better it just sounded really tinny like rattly even it sounded ike total crap, put on the super 40 and boom my cav sounds hella mean. Deep, rumbley, loud, i like it and many compliments on it and asking if i have a v6 cavalier all the time. the 60 series is fine for stock setup other than that it cant take the flow.

I agree this was also the first muffler i put on my cav with stock exhaust and it sounded good it sounded like a v6 accord at WOT IMO. I upgraded to a high flow cat with no resonator and it sounded really really raspy, so i put the longest 2.25in thrush perforated glasspack i could find and the sound got better sounded the same as with stock exhaust but a bit louder. Right now i have the flowmaster 60 single muffler on my 97 chevy truck 5.7 with headers and 2.25 pipes off the mid length headers w/no cat converter and the truck sounds pretty quiet idle, roars mid range and just gets quiet on the top.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:56 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:they make shift lights for that...

i dunno... in my opinion, where it comes to All Motor (N/A) Performance, which is the theme of this sub-forum, its all about performance and power, not loud obnoxious noise that doesn't increase power and it probably reduces it at that.
And i'll further my point with a question... Of all the people who have "engineered" their exhausts... who actually increased flow through the head to merit doing anything to the exhaust... Keep in mind this is an N/A forum, so boosted cars need not reply. I'm referring to Ported and Polished heads and bigger cams.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:52 PM
I've got a ported and polished head lol need to do 1.6 rockets and a cam regrind but with my mods, my dynomax super turbo is just fine lol don't understand all the flowmaster nutswinging tho...

Sunday, June 24, 2012 10:18 PM
Yeah the 50series and 60sound like *EXPLICATIVE REMOVED* to me but i havent herd a bad sounding 40series. Is not nutt swinging or about power. It tone it just sounds good sound wise its hard to beat a flowmaster or spintech. Magnaflows sound like *EXPLICATIVE REMOVED*. I havent herd a good sounding magnaflow to be honest but borla mufflers all sound good.

/Mod edit: Removed attempts to bypass the language filter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 25, 2012 3:40 PM

see ya!

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:36 PM
anything louder than stock on any of our engines that are Naturally Aspirated sounds horrible...

/thread...

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:45 AM
<cold start up with super 40, 2.5" madrel bent pipe, magnaflow cat, factory manifold

< few small revs after cold start up

< anothr cold start up, from last year

I'll take a new one later since have blackcat 140 cluster now, same exhaust though and still sounds good after 5 years no problems with it other than it was so heavy the factory hangers couldnt handle it so i replaced the bushings with polyurethane bushings and problem solved.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search