A different kind of performance build - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: A different kind of performance build
Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:43 PM
Hypermiling a jbody sounds neat...just please keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you.

Ideally, you want a custom lower final gear set as you optimize low end VE for mpg. Otherwise, you're still suffering the same cylinder wall loading losses from the piston speed/angle when you are at speed. While 17.5:1 seems like an awfully high AFR, it's not as dangerous at lower cylinder pressures (e.g. cruising) as it is at WOT.

I have no signiture

Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:37 AM
There's a shop in San Antonio that can tune anything and I took the car there and they just lowered the fuel tables a little it fattens up under throttle so not to melt the motor, it's very similar to the factory fuel curve just lower.
As for the final drive ratio I've trying to find out exactly what Trans I have without taking it out. Because I have a few Muncie/getrag HM282 and a spare HM284, but I built a cammed 3400 5 speed 95 beretta for a friend and I used the quad four cluster gears with the V6 final drive gears and made for a great combo with that motor. If this Trans was the same as those I was going to put the V6 final drive gears which I believe these cars have somewhere around 4:1 final drive and the older V6 cars had a 3.55:1 ratio which would probably work out great with higher compression torque cam build I'm wanting to do. If anything I'll just adapt the V6 HM282 trans into this car if its not to much work.

Thinking so far out of the box that I'm lost hahaha
Thursday, December 06, 2012 3:29 PM
You have a 3.58:1.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:06 PM
Does the 2.4 motor have low 4's ratio then? I know the old quad fours had 4.30:1 and ohv had between 3.90 and 4.10 and the V6 were mid to low threes depending on options. But I would like to bring down my cruising rpms a few hundred rpms. Actually would anyone know the ratios of the cluster gears or where I could find it so I could do the math and figure a good ratio to use

Thinking so far out of the box that I'm lost hahaha
Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:20 AM
3.91 on the Isuzu with the 2.4

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:11 PM
the 4t40e's have a 3.63 for the 2.4 Twincam and the 3.91 for the Eco. simply because the differentials are 3.05 and 3.29 sharing the same chain sprocket ratios... no one believes me but none have yet prooved this theory, but I stand to it that they are in fact different, simply to even out cars from the factory making the higher hp engines even with the lower hp ones...
Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:13 PM
and michael this thread was all good til your "engineer" ass came in LMFAO
Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:00 AM
I do what I must.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search