88 2.2 Custom Build - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
88 2.2 Custom Build
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 1:25 PM
Ok I am Building a motor for a race car we have it is an 88 Cavalier. For startes it is nothing radical just looking to get an advantage on the competition... I have to use the stock ecm and throttlebody set up. I am going to use a 1998 Block and an 1988 Crank so that the timing triggers are correct for the ECM. I am using a 1996 cylinder head with the 7mm valve stems and the larger valve face diameter than the 88 2.0 head Stock intake manifold and the exhaust manifold off of the 96 2.2. I plan to use the 98 valve springs with an installed height of 1.6 by using a .110 shim under them...this is something i am unsure about i just wanted to use the same springs that match the 98 camshaft which i am using. I think thats about as far as i have gotten I've been browsing these threads for a few days now and i know MadJack seams to be pretty good on this stuff so maybe he can chime in and let me know if there are any red flags coming up...I also have the tunerpro software and maotes hardware to do the tuning on it if needed. Thanks for the help in advance and dont be too rough I just gave you my Forum Virginity!! haha have a good one im looking foreward to hearing you opinions...

Go Fast Turn Left

Re: 88 2.2 Custom Build
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:33 PM
Nothing??

Go Fast Turn Left
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:49 PM
Look at this: recommended cams

Then take a look at this: Getting a good lift(er)

Now, look at this: Good head(s)

And finally... take a look at this: Strokin' it!

Take all this, go with a slightly lower (numerically) final-drive ratio, and I figure you'll have about the same pull "out-the-hole" as with the stock crank & FDR; with a better top-end to-boot!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:27 PM
haha while i appreciate the enthusiasm sadly i am on a budget.... I have decided that i will stick with the 96 2.2 valve springs and push rods. I would like to also stick with GM OEM Parts as they look like they should be there...i feel like this combinaion will provide a substantial improvement over stock..i also have a lightweight flywheel i would however like some input on about how much to open up the throttle body up because i do plan to bore it out and make a new butterfly... Thanks for the response If it were for a street car or a build for fun i would be more than stoked to put those parts to use but sadly every part the officials find that i s"illegal" they keep....My car is already the lightest in the class they have yet to punish me for that i have won plenty of races but we are looking to go to a few different tracks and i want to make sure we can compete....Thanks again Dimer..

Go Fast Turn Left
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search