Eco cams - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Eco cams
Saturday, September 14, 2013 12:42 AM
Hi, I disassembled the head on my 04 Eco and I noticed almost all the rockers are pitted bad and the cams. I was looking at performance cams such as comp cams stage 1 or 2. Do I need new valve springs for these and do any work with the factory tune? I pmed oldskool earlier today just waiting to here back. If I need valve springs I will probably just go to the junk yard and pickup factory cams.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Re: Eco cams
Saturday, September 14, 2013 3:57 AM
You can run stock springs but they wont like it. As a general rule of thumb you change the springs with aftermarket cams.

I know a few people on stock springs with cams and they are just fine. But would I....no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, September 14, 2013 3:58 AM
Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:24 PM
Aftermarket springs or stick with stock cams. If you grab some springs, supertech 78lb kit is about the best bang for the buck, and will handle most off the shelf grinds.

You will need a tune with upgraded cams.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:29 PM
Well I was told the LNF cams were a good swap. I just need to get this thing together. I just don't want to spend $100-$150 on stock parts and there be aftermarket parts that are $200. Just using that as an example.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:43 PM
Stock valve springs are barely enough for the stock cams. You HAVE to upgrade valve springs with the cams. It even says on the spec cards that come with the cams.

I have no clue where the idea came from that it is "safe" to run aftermarket cams on the stock valve springs when all of the tests and common sense says that it is not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:48 PM

Saturday, September 14, 2013 7:17 PM
LNF cams do not work...
Saturday, September 14, 2013 7:24 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Stock valve springs are barely enough for the stock cams. You HAVE to upgrade valve springs with the cams. It even says on the spec cards that come with the cams.

I have no clue where the idea came from that it is "safe" to run aftermarket cams on the stock valve springs when all of the tests and common sense says that it is not.

That is why I asked. Comp Cams site just says programming requird for the stage 2 and 3 and nothing for 1. It doesn't even specify valve springs. I know when I order cams for 3400 engines they clearly state if you need valve springs, push rods, retainers, shims, etc. Everything I find for ecos just have not information listed which is kind of annoying and the prices are triple compared to other engines. my comp cam valve springs for my v6 were like $70. I think it cost me $400 for the head gaskets, cam, springs, guides, seals lol. It seams you need atleast a $1000 to do eco cams with new parts.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:33 PM
I wouldn't even recommend running the Stage 1 without a tune. Looking at the Stage 1 compared to the stock cams on a degree wheel, there is a notable difference.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:42 PM
Philly D wrote:LNF cams do not work...

I read the message wrong. I was told lnf followers. I have to get new ones as mine were toast.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:44 PM
Sparkey05 wrote:I wouldn't even recommend running the Stage 1 without a tune. Looking at the Stage 1 compared to the stock cams on a degree wheel, there is a notable difference.

I don't know if a tune is an issue as I was told oldskool is a good tuner but I don't know the price. I just want to spend my money wisely.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:47 PM
Is a LSJ head bolt on and can I use the factory Eco intake and exhaust manifold?

Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:05 PM
Here is a write up Skwirl did on the LSJ head vs the L61. Pretty informative.

Link

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search