Resonator delete - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Resonator delete
Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:13 AM
As of right now I still have the stock cat and resonator on my 1.8 DOHC cavalier. I have a 3 inch muffler on the car also. I am planning on cutting out the resonator but don't know if I should use straight pipe or a glass pack to replace it. Most people complain that the drone is horrible if you were to replace it with just a straight pipe?

Re: Resonator delete
Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:20 AM
If you cut that resonator out, it is going to sound like @!#$. If it's rusted out replace it, otherwise, leave it.

Side note, 1.8DOHC? I thought they were either OHV or SOHC.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:41 AM
Sparkey05 wrote:If you cut that resonator out, it is going to sound like @!#$. If it's rusted out replace it, otherwise, leave it.

You can do a head swap and swap daewoo dohc head on a 1.8 or 2.0 ohc engine. A few people have done this and made nice power with a turbo.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:38 AM
Sparkey05 wrote:If you cut that resonator out, it is going to sound like @!#$. If it's rusted out replace it, otherwise, leave it.

I came across this video and his had a resonator delete but in my opinion doesn't sound that bad?
http://youtu.be/2D8JETL2VkQ
Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:49 PM
I've heard of nice results with a glasspack as a resonator. I think either a new resonator or glasspack will work. Whatever you do make it one or the other and not neither because it will sound like absolute garbage with just straight pipe. I'm using the longest resonator I can possibly fit and still don't like the sound.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:48 PM
If you like a rice crackle wagon then go for it. I think that sounded like garbage. Smooth and deep is where it's at.

Y3llowCav wrote:I've heard of nice results with a glasspack as a resonator. I think either a new resonator or glasspack will work.

I am running a 2.5" x 30" Magnaflow GlassPack after my cat and it turned out pretty decent.

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:10 AM
I plan on running all 3in with a moroso sprial flow as my resinator and a dyno max welded ultra flow

I Love My J ♡
Friday, September 27, 2013 7:12 AM
Sparkey05 wrote:If you like a rice crackle wagon then go for it. I think that sounded like garbage. Smooth and deep is where it's at.

Y3llowCav wrote:I've heard of nice results with a glasspack as a resonator. I think either a new resonator or glasspack will work.

I am running a 2.5" x 30" Magnaflow GlassPack after my cat and it turned out pretty decent.

Will the 2.5" diameter glasspacks fit on the stock exhaust pipe (i believe it is 1 7/8 in diameter). I plan on welding it in but since the difference in diameter will it even fit? I am trying to make this a DIY project but dont want to end up having to take it to a shop.
Friday, September 27, 2013 8:03 AM
Kevin Arthur wrote:
Sparkey05 wrote:If you like a rice crackle wagon then go for it. I think that sounded like garbage. Smooth and deep is where it's at.

Will the 2.5" diameter glasspacks fit on the stock exhaust pipe (i believe it is 1 7/8 in diameter). I plan on welding it in but since the difference in diameter will it even fit? I am trying to make this a DIY project but dont want to end up having to take it to a shop.

In the nicest way possible, just save up the money and take this to a custom exhaust shop brother.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, September 27, 2013 8:16 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Kevin Arthur wrote:

In the nicest way possible, just save up the money and take this to a custom exhaust shop brother.

Say if I were to do it myself though, what would I need to make it work. I have plenty of welding experience (I do HVAC and have to weld gas pipes with zero leaks) and feel it is in my ability to do it.
Friday, September 27, 2013 9:04 AM
Magnaflow has a 2" x 30" GlassPack. There is 2" of straight pipe on either end that you could sleeve over the stock exhaust pipe. It would be crude, but effective.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search