hp gains - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hp gains
Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:06 PM
Any idea what kind of hp gains from modding to aftermarket exhaust, intake and long tube header on a 2000 Z24

Re: hp gains
Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:15 PM
5hp
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:14 PM
with tuning, realistically maybe 20whp.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:48 PM
Better than nothing... seeing all i did was the exhaust... 20hp is better than nothing
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:52 PM
Just curious what they do when they tune a vehicle.... just never had the purpose to do one.
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:27 PM
well basically they will remove or raise the gm failsafes that kill power and are better suited for economy. they will use an exhaust gas probe called a wideband to determine your air fuel ratio and will tweak the fuel load to see where it makes the best power. if they are really good they will continue and try adjusting timing to again see where it makes the best power for the fuel provided. generally at this point you'd also want to be running premium gas to better capture the tune's ability for timing changes before knock timing retard begins. the LD9 knock sensor is a twitchy whore and has been known to wreak havoc on our car's power levels so they could also desensitize it a bit. my tuner caught it right away and basically tuned it out so it would not read it was so bad. i was giving up like 34hp and a @!#$ ton of torque to that alone. the reason why is still under investigation but i feel as though it has something to do with the screw in 99-02 knock sensor adapter i had to use in my 96-98 block.

also, depending on if your car is an automatic or not they should tune the transmission for firmer and faster shifts along with adjusting the shift points to better maximize the engines potential.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:30 PM
no.... its a 5spd
Friday, November 01, 2013 5:13 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:well basically they will remove or raise the gm failsafes that kill power and are better suited for economy. they will use an exhaust gas probe called a wideband to determine your air fuel ratio and will tweak the fuel load to see where it makes the best power. if they are really good they will continue and try adjusting timing to again see where it makes the best power for the fuel provided. generally at this point you'd also want to be running premium gas to better capture the tune's ability for timing changes before knock timing retard begins. the LD9 knock sensor is a twitchy whore and has been known to wreak havoc on our car's power levels so they could also desensitize it a bit. my tuner caught it right away and basically tuned it out so it would not read it was so bad. i was giving up like 34hp and a @!#$ ton of torque to that alone. the reason why is still under investigation but i feel as though it has something to do with the screw in 99-02 knock sensor adapter i had to use in my 96-98 block.

also, depending on if your car is an automatic or not they should tune the transmission for firmer and faster shifts along with adjusting the shift points to better maximize the engines potential.

brad pretty much covered all the main points.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search