2.3l oil pump vs Jbp 2.4 high pressure oil pump - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3l oil pump vs Jbp 2.4 high pressure oil pump
Saturday, October 26, 2013 12:33 AM
I did some research on high pressure oil pumps and high volume oil pumps and did some reading on quad4 and here but haven't found much info if the 2.3 oil pump is either adding more pressure or sending a higher volume of oil (sending larger amounts of oil) nor could I find any reviews on Jbp 's high pressure pump. Anyone's 2 cents would be appreciated on this subject

Re: 2.3l oil pump vs Jbp 2.4 high pressure oil pump
Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:37 AM
It has been said that the JBP oil pump is a melling oil pump with a modified internal gear. Others say it is strictly a Mellimg pump.

At one time melling made a high volume pump for the 2.4.

FU Tuning

Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:56 AM
The 2.4L JBP pump I looked at was a stock melling oil pump with a stiffer pressure relief spring.

Melling used to sell a stock unit, and a high pressure unit. The JBP pump is just the higher pressure unit with a different relief spring. You could still order the higher pressure unit last I asked autozone.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Saturday, October 26, 2013 12:00 PM
Is the 2.3 pump high volume pump or a high pressure pump? From my understanding the 2.3 pump sends more oil to the top end but how? With more pressure or more amount of oil? Last thing I want is engine failure because I chose high pressure since I didn't want to go about modding the oil pan

Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:27 PM
The 2.3 pump is driven directly off the crank, where the 2.4 is driven off the balance shaft assembly which is driven off the crank.

MD I haven't call a parts store but haven't found the stock high volume unit online last time I checked.

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 27, 2013 6:43 PM
the 2.3 pump provides more volume AND more pressure. essentially it is about 1/3rd larger in size and like john said, is gear to gear.

but in the end, as far as oil pressure is concerned all you "need" is 10psi per 1000 of engine rpm.

if JBP truly changed out the spring i would be surprised. id be more inclined to believe its simply just one of these melling units.

changing the spring in the oil pump dates back to engine building itself. back in the day during the build of my 327 SBC in my 69 c10 we took the spring out of the pump and basically just stretched it out a little. that actually worked lol

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Monday, October 28, 2013 4:13 AM
I would bet later one the JBP pumps were all just plain old melling pump that were the "high pressure" versions.

The 2.3 pump flows more oil, and at a higher pressure.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search