Hybrid Build possibility. Need some help. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hybrid Build possibility. Need some help.
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:37 AM
I know I've got a Cobalt and this is mainly a Cavi forum, but I've read that the guys here seem to be alot more versed in obscure build ideas and information since yall seem to be ahead of the came in the Ecotec platforms. I've asked this on CSS as well, but I figure asking here too might open me up to more answers.

I have a 2.2L L61 motor in a 2008 Cobalt that I've been thinking looking into possibly doing a stroker build on as well as a head swap or something of that nature to have a better flowing head, so I will break these down into parts concerning each.

On an L61 stroker, I have read that you can use an LE5 crank and possibly custom pistons and rods, or forged 2.2 rods and custom pistons. Being that my car is an '08 L61 with the 58x reluctor and so is the LE5, and the part number for the PCM is the same between models, would an LE5 crank swap over directly without having to use an external reluctor or anything like that? I know I would have to double check clearance of the crank by the girdle just to make sure it would clear. Also, someone mentioned using off the shelf 2.2 rods and pistons with the LE5 crank, but would that work? And if so, what would it do to compression ratios and would the 2.2 pistons not clear the top of the deck and impact the head and valves? If I need custom pistons, does anyone know what spec pistons would be needed?

As far as the head goes, I was thinking about using an LSJ head, but after looking into the price to upgrade the ignition and make it work, it just doesnt seem feasible. I found JBP heads for like $2,500 fully built, but Im not sure if they will work with an '08 L61. I have found a bare P&P'd performance head from GM (Part# 88958619) but again, Im not sure if it would work on an '08. Could someone clarify that subject for me? And also, if I'm going to do work on the head, I would like to upgrade cams. What would I do about the Cam position sensor? Would it be tuned out? Could I have the sensor pressed off and onto new cams to retain that?

Any help on this would be great. Thanks.

Re: Hybrid Build possibility. Need some help.
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:41 AM
I would look up some of the Hybrid info here or go to the ecotecforum. There is a TON of info over there on this topic.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:16 PM
Why not just find an 06 LE5 bottom end and put either the l61 or lsj head on that? I'm not sure where the LE5 gets it's extra stroke from(since it's a big bore stroker compared to the l61) but my guess would be in the crank offset; hopefully others will chime in to confirm. But if that's true it's a bad idea to run l61 sized rods and pistons on that crank. I'm guessing this is an NA build?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:54 PM
No, my car is already supercharged. This is just trying to do something different and find other ways of getting more horsepower.

I talked to a guy who's pretty knowledgeable about hybrid ecotecs and he told me that the wrist pin diameter is the same between LE5 and L61 rods, so I could use LE5 rods, and possibly L61 pistons since they fit the rods and block bore.

But I really dont want to buy a whole bottom end when I can just use the rotating assembly and get about the same results. Plus, from what I understand, the sleeves in the 2.4 have more meat taken out of them to fit the 88mm pistons instead of the 86mm in the L61. And an LE5 would cost more to build because the only ones that come with forged internals from the factory also come with a 7x reluctor on the crank, which could be a real PITA to make work with my PCM. 07+ arent forged internals but have a 58x reluctor which should match my stock sensor, cause '08 L61s runs a 58x as well. So not only would I have to buy a block, I would probably have to upgrade the sleeves, rods, pistons, etc just to make it work instead of just buying forged internals and the crank.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search