looking for a good muffler - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
looking for a good muffler
Sunday, April 06, 2014 7:14 AM
Hello there, newbie here. I've read these forums a little bit in the past but now I need a little advices. It's finally time to replace the old original muffler on the '97 Z24. Yes, I said the original! It out-lasted my catalytic converter! Anyway, it's starting to get some small holes in the top and I want to replace it with something that doesn't sound far from stock but without the catalytic converter it sounds a little more ballsie than before and I'd kind of like to add to that just a little. The only other engine mod I've done is an air intake and RKSport motor mounts. I WILL IN NO WAY EVEN CONSIDER SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS RICEY!!! I cannot stand that annoying sound. My car seems to have a nice sound now with the lack of the converter and the air intake. Is there anyone out there with a similar setup as mine that knows what I'm looking for and might have some good advice on a muffler for me. Thanks in advance guys, I know from what I've read in the past one of you guys know what I need, this site is awesome and seems to have plenty of very knowledgeable people, glad to be part of it now!

Re: looking for a good muffler
Sunday, April 06, 2014 8:00 AM
Corsa
Sunday, April 06, 2014 9:02 AM
I would probably recommend a Dynomax super turbo muffler or a Walker Quiet flow and many have had success with a muffler from a Cobalt SS(must be the SS with stainless tip, it flows great). At this point any muffler has the potential to sound ricey with no cat and tiny factory resonator. I recommend putting a longer resonator in as well, it'll keep it deeper and less ricey.

Sunday, April 06, 2014 9:04 AM
Dynomax Super Turbo

Sunday, April 06, 2014 9:09 AM
Cobalt SS muffler is probably your best option. I would recommend a magnaflow but w/o the cat im just not sure on how it will sound.

It beats a Honda!
Sunday, April 06, 2014 3:37 PM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:Dynomax Super Turbo

+1 For the Dynomax Super Turbo. I'm running it along with a 200 cell Highflow cat and ZZP 24" resonator. Sound is amazing. Super quiet, zero rasp or drone. Almost like a stock vehicle.
Sunday, April 06, 2014 5:35 PM
OP doesn't want to run a cat & from what I can tell has a stock resonator. Its been a VERY long time since ive had a stock exhaust on a J so im not sure but I dont think it comes with a 24" resonator. Im afraid it may drone with almost any aftermarket setup if he doesnt have atleast a longer resonator.

It beats a Honda!
Monday, April 07, 2014 12:22 AM
Borland pro xs it's very quiet

see ya!

Monday, April 07, 2014 12:33 AM
I would look into a resonator i use a spintech prostreet as a resonator could also use a flowmaster hp2

see ya!

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 6:33 AM
Go with a Dynomax or Walker Quiet Flow as Z's Z recommends, and absolutely get yourself a longer resonator if you're not running a cat. If you want to put a performance muffler on your car and don't run a cat, you will sound ricey without a larger resonator.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 7:38 AM
I have a very similar setup as you and I'm running the Dynomax super turbo. It's a nice deep tone under idle or normal driving conditons. It does
get just a tad raspy at WOT but, as said above a longer resonator would probably fix that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search