2.4 Timing tensioner question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 Timing tensioner question
Sunday, April 06, 2014 9:03 AM
Just to confirm and peace of mind.

I just finished timing the 2.4 yesterday. I pushed the tensioner in and it sprung out fully providing full tension on the shoe. But I turned the engine by hand and noticed the tensioner go in and out slightly. This causes the chain to jump or cause slack per say for a few seconds. I still need to see if it jumps a teeth on the gears.

But my question is: Is it true the new style tensioner relies on oil pressure to fully stay in engaged mode? Thus not causing what is see when turning the engine?

Im just worried it might be the valves hitting causing the chain to do that. It occurs between the cam gears. Again it is timed and i can put bolts in through the cam sprockets alignment holes. I just want to make sure its just the oil pressure on the tensioner that is needed to keep the tensioner at fully engaged mod.

GMR has got nothing on this

Re: 2.4 Timing tensioner question
Sunday, April 06, 2014 9:50 AM
Yessir, all of them except the 96 use oil pressure. Just enough spring pressure to keep everything together until the oil pressure builds.

Sunday, April 06, 2014 10:03 AM
Okay good, so should i still be concerned with the chain doing that when turning it by hand? Again everything is timed right. Once the oil pressure kicks in it should be fine? Just really concerned.

Sunday, April 06, 2014 12:54 PM
I would like to say that is the valve spring pushing the cam lobe off because the tensioner released some and it can. However without seeing it I can't be sure.

Sunday, April 06, 2014 5:53 PM
This is why i use the 96 one.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 12:17 PM
I too feel that the older version is a safer route.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search