Improving performance on a 4 cyl - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Improving performance on a 4 cyl
Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:35 PM
What are the best and most efficient ways to increase the performance of a lq5 2.0l 4 cyl engine with single port throttle body? I will be replacing the tbi with a rochester 2 barrel carb soon as i hate my tbi unit ( plus caught fire a few times). Also would like advice on ripping out every emissions system on this vehicle since it no longer functions correctly and in ct if the vehicle is over 25 years, you dont have to comply with emissions. Also word of warning the engine has over 220k miles on it. It seems fine but i blew a oil pan gasket after switching to full synthetic motor oil, since my tbi is way out of whack and tune.

Re: Improving performance on a 4 cyl
Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:06 PM
i'm not familiar with this type of engine setup, but...
how does the throttle body fuel injection system have anything to do with crankcase pressure apparently blowing out your oil pan gasket? lol

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Re: Improving performance on a 4 cyl
Friday, July 11, 2014 9:02 AM
The car hasnt had proper maintenance in a few decades. I recently drained the engine and replace the oil filter with brand new full synthetic. I also repair my valve cover and replaced the pcv valve, and all rubber hose to the valve cover. I also replaced the pre heater hose to my air filter assembly. Due to fresh fluids then engine has been running better than i can remember, the only issue is the tbi needs to be adjusted because the idle speed is way out there. The whole upper half of the engine has been sealed and within a few days my oil pan leaks when the car warms up. After i put the 5 spd in is when i will replace the gasket. I have to remove the drivers sode wheel and drop the exhaust just to reach it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search