LD9 balance shafts delete? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 balance shafts delete?
Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:58 AM
Is it possible to delete the balance shafts on a 2.4L it's ina 2002 z24. And if possible what type of gains could I get? And i know the vibrations will be bad. But i don't care.

Re: LD9 balance shafts delete?
Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:33 AM
Ryan Levesque wrote:Is it possible to delete the balance shafts on a 2.4L it's ina 2002 z24. And if possible what type of gains could I get? And i know the vibrations will be bad. But i don't care.

Research the 2.3L Oil Pump Swap. That should explain all your questions.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:54 AM
http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16375 i had a pretty hard time finding it but I found it on my own. Is it really worth doing? It sounds like to much work for an additional 20 hp..
Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:00 PM
its not just for a theorhetical extra 20hp. it also will allow the use of a much better oil pump. not only is it LARGER than the 2.4 pump, its direct gear to gear driven so there is no stretching of any chains to possibly take place.

you also lose about 40 pounds of dead weight on the motor. not to mention it makes working on it down the road about 45,000 times easier.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Friday, July 25, 2014 4:18 AM
Okay, let me first say I'm not a noob when it come to j-bodys. I built a 2200 about 4 years ago, sold it got an a4 (worst decision of my life) wrecked the a4 about 4 weeks ago and just bought a z24. I'm a little lost on these types of motors. (But have been doing a lot of research) 2nd I feel I should bring it to a shop that builds motors I know of in east Hartford ct, only because oil is the blood of a motor and i don't want to screw ANY THING UP when it comes to that. 3rd cost of the the conversion and boring the cylinders out to fit a 91 mm forged piston?
Friday, July 25, 2014 11:08 AM
I believe 91mm is .040 over in an LD9 so you're good there. people have bored an LD9 clear out to .100 over and were fine, so... (mind you .080 over makes it a 2.5L)

cost of boring is usually around $120 bucks for our motors. the conversion for the oil pump, well... ive paid all the way up to $600 before for the work so it can get spendy, that's for sure. buuuuuuuuuuuuut, if you are well versed with an electric drill and or a drill press with enough room to mount the block under you can simply do the work yourself. basically the skills needed are, use of drill, use of cutoff wheel, and use of tap n die set. if you can handle those things you can certainly handle a 2.3 oil pump swap.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Saturday, July 26, 2014 7:13 PM
I can say the write up is extreamly detailed. It actuly makes the task look and sound intimidating, its not at all trust me its very simple and straight forward. I took a chance and sourced my oil pump from a junk yard and modified my pick up tube did all the drilling and plugging of holes my self and it was cake. Most expensive part of the swap for me was the gear for the crank side witch cost me $9x.xx. brad above or aka zyaaa has them as well i got mine from gm n.o.s. it is very worth it trust me my friend.

I Love My J ♡
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search