AutoMeter Electronic Fuel Pressure Gauge Install Questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
AutoMeter Electronic Fuel Pressure Gauge Install Questions
Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:34 AM
I have an 04 Cavalier Ecotec that I used to drive as a daily driver, but it's been a while. I am trying to get it back up and running and one thing I want to do is install an Autometer Electronic Fuel Pressure Gauge (Part # 6163). Actually, I had it installed in the past and hooked it up to an Aeromotive FPR, but actually went back to the stock FPR years ago as the Aeromotive one ended up causing issues going lean under boost (S/C).

So, now I've been looking into the best way/place to install it and have some questions. I'm thinking I'd like to install it by hooking it up to the Schrader valve, but believe I may need an adapter for this. Can I use the adapter 3280 from AutoMeter for this? I know it mentions using that for Fords on the fuel rail, but would it work with my car, too? If so, do I screw it directly into the Schrader valve or do I have to remove the Schrader valve (does it just unscrew out of the fuel line or?) If it can be screwed directly into the Schrader valve, will that adapter activate the valve so it reads pressure or do I need to modify the valve somehow? I'm looking for the option that is least intrusive so if I want to go "back" to what it was like before I can do that easily/quickly. That's one reason I'm leaning away from tapping the fuel rail and looking at the schrader valve instead.

I was hoping to just find this answer by searching, but I've been finding what looks like conflicting or incomplete information sometimes, so thought I would ask.

Thanks for your help,

John

Re: AutoMeter Electronic Fuel Pressure Gauge Install Questions
Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:28 AM
You will have to remove the Schrader valve to have the gauge see fuel pressure. It is I believe a -3AN line. I used an adapter from that to 1/8" NPT for my gauge.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:10 PM
Ok, thanks!

Would I be using a schrader valve removal tool to remove the core, or does the entire thing unscrew from the line?
Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:46 PM
Removal tool

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:55 PM
Thanks for the information.

Follow-up question:

Which line does fuel flow in from and which does it flow out of? There is the line with the schrader valve that then ultimately leads into the side of the fuel rail. Then there is the line that connects through the FPR which connects to the fuel rail.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if that will make a difference in the "quality" of my reading or affect my troubleshooting (for example if the issue was with the FPR) if I'm using the schrader valve for my gauge.

Thanks,
John
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search