Ecotec ignition coil springs - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec ignition coil springs
Sunday, October 26, 2014 6:18 AM
I tried to look this up on the forums and on Google, but couldn\'t come across anything helpful. Has anyone ever put heavier springs in the boots of the ecotec ignition coils? Perhaps it would give a stronger spark VS having to convert over to the MSD setup and losing your power steering? I know the MSD setup would be the way to go if you were wanting to make serious HP, but for street applications my guess would be some heavier springs, possibly gold plated copper (if such a thing exists) springs would carry a better current than the stock ones. Just woke up this morning thinking about it and has my curiosity up.

Re: Ecotec ignition coil springs
Sunday, October 26, 2014 7:18 AM
Someone did make a low resistance springs for the stock setup.

Also people run the LSJ/LNF coils on the L61. My buddy was running that setup when we made 405whp on a internally stock L61.

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 26, 2014 7:47 AM
Oh ok, cool. I never even thought about swapping the LSJ coils. Wow, 405whp on stock internals... That is pretty intense. Is the engine still intact or did it give out after a bit?
Sunday, October 26, 2014 2:23 PM
Jake Boyd wrote:Oh ok, cool. I never even thought about swapping the LSJ coils. Wow, 405whp on stock internals... That is pretty intense. Is the engine still intact or did it give out after a bit?

motor is still running at a lower power level of 330whp. /we did 2 pulls at high boost on the dyno made 401whp and 45whp. I truly do not think it would make many more of those pulls at that power level.

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:15 PM
After looking at the coil packs and ignition setup of the LSJ, how did you hook it up to the L61? I know the LSJ coils are individual with an ICM that they hook to, but will the connector for the L61 ICM connect to the ICM for the LSJ?
Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:24 PM
Jake Boyd wrote:After looking at the coil packs and ignition setup of the LSJ, how did you hook it up to the L61? I know the LSJ coils are individual with an ICM that they hook to, but will the connector for the L61 ICM connect to the ICM for the LSJ?

There is a post on it on here somewhere. I do not think the LSJ has a ICM at all.

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 26, 2014 10:06 PM
Why would you loose power steering with the msd? You could just do a 2200 coil swap.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, October 27, 2014 5:49 AM
He is thinking about the MSD distributor.
Monday, October 27, 2014 8:58 AM
Rksport made springs for a bit... There was also a vendor on eBay that was making springs. I picked up a set years back. There really wasn\'t a discernible difference between the two...

Monday, October 27, 2014 2:04 PM
You can wire them directly to the harness that goes into the stock icm. It\'ll run in wasted spark no matter what, so I really don\'t see a reason to go through the trouble unless you\'re doing it purely for looks.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, October 27, 2014 2:13 PM
The springs are more of a check in the box kind of thing. I have them for that exact reason buty I\'m sure they don\'t do squat.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:27 PM
I gotcha, well thanks for the info. I'll just keep what I have if that is the case.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search