Aluminum radiator - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Aluminum radiator
Thursday, February 19, 2015 5:31 PM
I'm looking to fit my 02 z24 with the largest possible radiator I can fit in the front of the car right now I am looking at a 30 inch overall length by 19 inch height. Reason being I'm trying to fit a large radiator in there is because I'm going supercharged.I've also got a wife and a child so I'm trying to make the most reliable car I possibly can. Here is the link to the radiator I'm questioning I obviously know there's going to be some customisation required what I am questioning is will the hood even close? I guess if anyone can help me out if this radiator combo kit will not fit, please help me out with one that will fit.
about.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csum3802

Re: Aluminum radiator
Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:10 PM
My 01 Z24 is supercharged with the factory radiator. no problems. Car has 148k. Original radiator, hose, water pump etc.. I'm also pushing the limits of the M45 charger. I live in Florida cooling is not a issue.

FU Tuning

Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:28 PM
I might also have to do a lot of idling in very hot weather to keep the AC running for my daughter and or wife and my car already runs 2-16th of the hotter than it should. I just want the simple reassurance that the cooling system is good for my modifications that I want to do in the near future. So you have almost a hundred fifty thousand miles on your LD9? do you have any forged internals and what do you mean you're pushing the limits of your M 45 supercharger
Friday, February 20, 2015 4:05 AM
I'm running and eco but I'm also supercharged with an entirely stock cooling system. Omitting a head gasket issue I have had 0 problems keeping the engine cool in the dead of summer, in traffic w/ the ac on, and seeing nuclear intake manifold temps.

Do this if you really want too but it's not necessary. Just make sure the fan is working properly and you'll be good to go. I don't believe anyone makes a drop-in larger or all aluminum replacement for jbodies. Matt had one custom made by Griffin but I'm pretty sure he still had to modify it some.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, February 20, 2015 6:13 AM
There was a group buy on the griffin radiators years back that were a drop in. Griffin can still make them as a 1 off but they are pricey from what others have said.

I believe Matt's was actually a universal that he modified. I had asked him about it awhile back when he was parting the car.

Friday, February 20, 2015 10:32 AM
alright if you guys are saying the factory cooling system is fine the least I want to do is throw in some high powered fans because the factory only put in 1 fan. can someone point me in the right direction for that? This is my second jbody I've owned but my first one had a Ln2 motor. Thing was bullet proof. @!#$ty idea to sell it and get an A4 ended up crashing it just to get out of the loan Audi has way to many unnecessary parts and problems!!! then went back to my true calling of cars to be built so I'm a little uneducated with my LD9 motor.
Friday, February 20, 2015 4:52 PM
Ryan Levesque wrote:I might also have to do a lot of idling in very hot weather to keep the AC running for my daughter and or wife and my car already runs 2-16th of the hotter than it should. I just want the simple reassurance that the cooling system is good for my modifications that I want to do in the near future. So you have almost a hundred fifty thousand miles on your LD9? do you have any forged internals and what do you mean you're pushing the limits of your M 45 supercharger

150k on the factory original motor. Only thing inside my motor not stock the the cams. Head has never been pulled off the car.

Idling with the a/c runs the cooling fan so unless you have a issue your car should not over heat or have issues.

a good coolant flush, checking and replacing hoses etc.. should be all you need.

I said I'm pushing the limits of the M45 as I have it maxed and then some. I'm one of few who have pushed a M45 to this extent.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 20, 2015 7:04 AM
I have one of the griffin custom radiators in mine with dodge intrepid dual fans which are a perfect fit on the radiator. Just make sure to put a relay on each fan and you'll be fine.
Sunday, September 20, 2015 1:09 PM
Dale, when did you get your griffin radiator? And a part #if any? I think i want one for quicker cool down between passes and just hot summers in Sacramento 105° plus.
Aslo where can i get the relays? Junkyard maybe off an intrepid as well the fan. Thanks
Sunday, June 19, 2016 4:49 PM
I got it as part of the GP mentioned above, my car is in storage now so the next time I'm there I will see if I can get the pn, I'm finally going to finish the car after 7 years, LOL.
Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:16 PM
I used a cobalt eBay aluminum racing radiator and made hoses work used the ss dual cooling fans

97cavalier

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search