arp head studs? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
arp head studs?
Tuesday, May 05, 2015 12:22 PM
I just ordered an arp head bolt kit from chevy cavalier world.com These bolts are friggin 250 plus shipping. My ? is there anything I should know about installing these over the stock torque to yield 1 time use head bolts? and are these worth the $ about to do a head gasket job on my 97 2.2. just bought these now since they are reusable and doing turbo down the road.

Re: arp head studs?
Tuesday, May 05, 2015 2:34 PM
Arp has install instructions

They're worth it. Use the lube and make sure your thread bosses in the block are clean

Also I don't know if the rear alternator support bracket will work with these. I removed it completely on my car before arp install. I just bolted the alternator to the front bracket with 2 bolts. The support gets in the way of turbo things anyway.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Tuesday, May 05, 2015 5:51 PM
2.2 ohv 97? cause my alternator bracket in the front by radiator
Wednesday, May 06, 2015 12:58 AM
You could have saved $100 if you looked up the parts #'s and ordered from summitracing.com it cost me $149.01 and the only thing I had to buy extra was two lockouts for the alternator brace, which are just the same nuts you order for the studs. Parts #'s are 5x ARP - ATP59502LUB , 3x ARP-ATP45101LB , 2x ARP-ATP5-1951LUB , that takes care of all the studs. Now for washers and nuts... part #'s ARP-200-8530 , ARP-300-8394.

I'd return them and save yourself 1 bill.
Wednesday, May 06, 2015 2:04 AM
The alt is in the same location as the 98+ version but idk the difference in the bracketry. It's probably similar. The kit I got from ccw didn't have long enough studs on the front of cyl 1,2 to let that bracket bolt down.

It's no big deal really cause that bracket is overkill.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Tuesday, May 12, 2015 9:00 PM
damn wish I would of known those part # before... oh well. and yea i'm pretty sure the 98 and up are the same alternator brackets.
Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:28 PM
That alt bracket is overkill. i think it is the same on all LN2s in third gens.

Id just delete it and bolt the alternator directly to the main serpentine bracket that is bolted to the front side of the head. Saves weight and cleans it up in there.

you just need a bolt nut for the lower bolt that normally threads into the bracket behind the alternator; and conveniently one of the nuts that holds that bracket down to the stock head bolts IS the same thread .

Friday, May 15, 2015 5:26 PM
Wait I can delete the bracket? As in it's not a necessary evil? I just did my header install and that bracket is a pain in the ass plus it's waaay to close to my header. As a second question my studs turned like butter when I was installing my header, The thing is though they tighten fine and there's no wiggle. I've been debating on Apr studs as well so I figure I'd jump in and ask
Monday, May 25, 2015 9:05 AM
Wow, I seen that price on Cavalier World but you can get the same arp studs 100 bucks cheaper elsewhere.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I NEED TO TUNE MY CAR?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search