L61 looking for cheap HP gains on stock engine - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
L61 looking for cheap HP gains on stock engine
Saturday, November 21, 2015 8:11 PM
Hi, I'm new here...

I'm running an L61 in my 24 hrs of Lemons race car, the engine is stock with 120k miles on it with tsudo header, 2.5 inch exhaust and ebay air intake.
Looking to get a little more out of it without Turbo/Supercharger.
What sort of gains from balance shaft delete? I'm going to replace the timing chain this winter and figured this may be worth doing while I am in there.

Any advantage from a 2.4 or LK9 intake manifold on an L61?

Any other suggestions?
The engine spends most of the time at WOT pulling 4000-6200 rpm in endurance road racing up to 24 hour races so reliability is important.

I have HP tuners + wideband 02 and are slowly learning how to use it, so far have only used it to correct the VE tables to correct for the increased airflow.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Re: L61 looking for cheap HP gains on stock engine
Friday, January 29, 2016 11:51 AM
I would do the balance shaft delete and free up that power. Maybe 3-5 hp but not too much
Stay away from any under drive crank pulleys as they can cause broken oil pump gears under racing conditions.
If you are still using factory engine and tranny mounts fix that before worrying about more power. This will help get the torque to the ground more efficiently.
If you're really looking to have fun, remove the head while you are already in there with the timing chain (not much more work) and open up the bowl area under the valves. These are especially bad from the factory on the exhaust side of the head.
Get a good valve job and replace the head gasket with one that is .027" thick vs the factory .040" thick
This will get you a small compression bump but a big increase in exhaust flow to match your upgraded exhaust already. And it is mainly labor.

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Re: L61 looking for cheap HP gains on stock engine
Friday, January 29, 2016 12:45 PM
Check out www.TurboTechRacing.com with ideas...

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search