05 LS cam swap help. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
05 LS cam swap help.
Saturday, September 08, 2018 10:35 PM
Got a '05 LS (manual) & looking to swap cams...

Can I drop cams from another car & gain gains from it, or should I order from a retailer like COMP?

engine has 133k on it, so I'm not looking for anything extreme, just throwing some life back into my car. So, if I could hit a junk yard & get a set of cams, versus spending a ton on brand new ones, that would be more optimal for me at the moment. Ñ

Re: 05 LS cam swap help.
Saturday, September 08, 2018 11:53 PM
No other stock cams are a drop in upgrade. Also even the Stage 1 comp cams will require you to upgrade the vavlesprings(stock springs were tested years ago and found to barely be strong enough for stock cams) and you will need to retune the car with HP Tuners.

Sunday, September 09, 2018 8:36 AM
Bummer. Don't have a whole ton to spend & already done a full long-ram cold intake plus a complete vibrant exhaust system. Looking for mods that are affordable / things that won't require me to upgrade other things with it, making these initial upgrade expensive. I'd really like to adjust my ECU/PCM, but I don't know anywhere around me that does that.
Sunday, September 09, 2018 2:02 PM
Swapping to the LE5 intake manifold is a simple upgrade, but I don't know how much of gain you will see without retuning. If you plan on having the car for a while longer there is always the option of pulling a L61 head off a junkyard car and then over time doing a mild port job to it, upgrading the vavles, springs, and cams. Alot of the nicer cars on here were not built overnight. We saved up, bought what we could when we could, and stock piled parts until we had everything we needed for the end result.

Monday, September 10, 2018 9:12 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Alot of the nicer cars on here were not built overnight

Ahemm

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search