Ecotec Issues - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Issues
Saturday, February 12, 2005 9:15 PM
I'm thinking of getting the Cobalt with the 2.2 eco that I know lots of you guys are running. What kind of issues have come up, and under what driving conditions/mods have they happened? (eg, lots of LD9's have a #3 berring problem when you push them) Any people had any problems with emissions? How many recalls, etc.?

How far have you gone with mods and still had no problems?

I want to hear the good and the bad.

Thanx,
Chris

My cardomain site
Basstrombone

Re: Ecotec Issues
Saturday, February 12, 2005 9:23 PM
My ecotec is weird. I added an intake, header, and cat-back duals and that made my car run really rich. Normally that'll lean the car out

Saturday, February 12, 2005 10:36 PM
doesnt like extensive mods very much and noe programming out yet or expected otherwise im happy with it

04 sunfire auto 16.3@82.5.................for now
Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:22 AM
new cars don't take emisions untill after 4 years, thats no gonna much info on ecos with emmisions problems yet

Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:03 AM
^^ No emissions for 5 years out here. I've had my car for over 3 years and just about 80k havent had any issues at all.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:16 AM
really? I thought 4 years was the standard everywhere, around here thats what it is anyway

Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:23 AM
Cali it's two years.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:26 AM
caliis gay when it comes to emmsions

Sunday, February 13, 2005 9:02 AM
no problems here except these wickind cams making my car run like crapola

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:19 AM
its 2 years in md too.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Sunday, February 13, 2005 11:08 AM
Yep its 5 years here. Wyoming doesnt even have emmision laws

Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:47 PM
no smog check here in FL. as far as problems...8 months, 21k miles, no problems yet. 04Eco (roy)....what do you define as extensive mods? and what doesnt the Eco like about em?

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:59 PM
Tom didn't cali go to a 6 year program. I thought the old law was 4 years after new purchase then it needed to be smogged. I didnt have to smog the 03 YAY!

Sunday, February 13, 2005 6:08 PM
no problems here --- had a check engine light for a while but it was because one of the wires on my air intake temp sensor was split

and no emission laws in the Fla

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 1:05 AM
running rich but thats cause i'm boosted and still trying to get it tuned. new mexico doesn't have any emission laws or car inspections for that matter

Cost of mods: $2500
Number of headaches: Too many to count
Look on your face when you realize you got beat by a Cavalier: Priceless
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:06 PM
FstCavZ24 (Turbo ECO) wrote:Tom didn't cali go to a 6 year program. I thought the old law was 4 years after new purchase then it needed to be smogged. I didnt have to smog the 03 YAY!

I pretty sure it's every other year. And new cars are about 3 years. Ya, and you are pretty lucky not having to smog the Turbo eco yet. But what are you going to do when you have to.

I'm living dangerous with the 04' I got an aem intake without carb legal sticker and no front liscense plate.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:12 PM
Contact AEM they will get you a sticker. They did for my 99 when I moved out here. Brand new 1st owner cars DEF don't need to be smogged for 4 years, and I still think it just went up to 6 years. Now if it changes owners within those 4 years, (maybe 6), it may have to be smogged. I'm pretty sure all the laws changed recently though.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:21 PM
When I went to aem for the eco, I didn't have a sticker for the 2.4 so I told the guy and he gave me one for the 2.4. But I don't think the eco intake is carb approved yet. just checked still pending approval.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:25 PM
good point

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:58 PM
In Cali vehicles are exempt for the first 6 years under one owner or 4 years if sold.

DMV Smog Page

The Aem intake is not CARB legal YET. (But it comes of quick and will be in 4 years when I need to smog)

And I have recieved two recalls.

one for my taillights, the connections can degrade and cause the signals to not function "Leading to a serious crash" according to GM. So if you let them have it for a week they can put some dielectric grease on it for you.

and another emisions recall that I about died when I recieved. They are having "Problems" with the emissions stickers under the hood. So they sent me a new one in case mine fell off and instructed me to relocate it. They even offer to do it for me. Aren't they so nice.

03 Cavalier LS
Ecotec 5 Speed
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:28 PM
i love my ECOTEC. it is quicker then i though it was going to be. as for recalls, i work at a chevy dealship in parts, none really. had a few 03 cav bcms come it for warritry. power lock thing. a tail lamp socket recall for 03's. the only major thing we had come it was a sunfire with a cam or timing chain. but that was cause of a defect at the factory. other then that only oil changes are the only thing they come in for

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:16 PM
i got a recall for the taillamps, emissions sticker and water intrusion in the forward electrical connection. no real probs. i burned up the tranny and got it replaced for free. i had the stalling problem for a week and it went away. and now i keep getting the random/multiple cylinder misfire code, from the cams. but a solution is being looked into. you can check my profile for what i have done to it. and i drive it hard daily. i cant complain about it. i did have a big problem it want with the drivetrain at all though. it was the cable for my defroster vent. was at the dealer four times for the darn thing
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:49 PM
i have 80,000miles on mine only one problem i have had is an emisions sensor went bad cost me 20 bucks to get a new one and no other problems other than that. runs great still.
btw in michigan we aint got no emisions laws which is sweet.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search