Pacesetter header - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pacesetter header
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 1:33 PM
i have a 99 Z24 cavalier. before i buy the 4 into 1 pacesetter header does anyone have a 2.4 cavy with a magnaflow exhasut and the pacesetter 4 into 1 header. i just want to know if it makes it sound crapy or any cons about it. i think the magnaflow sounds awesome on the cavy and i only want to make it sound better so if anyone hated the change in sound please tell me.

Re: Pacesetter header
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:16 PM
any header will change the tone of the exhaust

my rk/magnaflow sounds like crap even with out a header

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:18 PM
i kno it changes the sound i just wanted to kno if anyone dislikes the sound change of the magnaflow with the pacesetter header. if it sounds throatier or deeper or ricey(dont want that) just wanted to kno before i purchase kinda like a review.
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 5:13 PM
i have a 00 2.4 auto, with the 4-1 pacesetter down to a 2-1/4 collector then 2-1/4 to a high flow cat the 2-1/4 the rest of the way to a Ractive DTM, and its sounds pretty good, but the magna flow would sound much better.By the way it pulls real nice at about 4500 rpms.
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 5:55 PM
00cavi wrote:i have a 00 2.4 auto, with the 4-1 pacesetter down to a 2-1/4 collector then 2-1/4 to a high flow cat the 2-1/4 the rest of the way to a Ractive DTM, and its sounds pretty good, but the magna flow would sound much better.By the way it pulls real nice at about 4500 rpms.

good thats what im looking for thats exactly what i want alil power but a good sound. not bashing the exhasut but yea like you said wit magna flow it will sound much better and i agree being the difference in product quality.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:42 AM
All a matter of opinion. I never like the sound of the Rksport magnaflow exhaust. It sounded to ricey (it that is the word to use) The header will not make it sound any better unless you put a resonator on there. I know someone with another type of magnaflow and didn't like the sound. I have a Pacesetter with 2.5" pipe resonator and a Dynomax muffler and it is a nice tone and not to loud.

Sound can be debated, i would not buy the Rksport set because what i have heard i don't like.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, March 03, 2005 7:07 AM
Like Mylife said, put a resonator under there. Most posts I've read seem to say that the RK/Magnaflow exhaust is a little loud and high pitched. Get a resonator or a glasspack with a perforated core(Thrush Magnum glasspack, Purple Hornies,Magnaflow, etc..), not louvered(impeades the exhaust flow), and put it inline right after the Cat. This usually results in a relativly quite, deep, mellow sounding exhaust(almost stock sounding), till you get on it hard. Also, the longer the body is the more sound it will absorb, which will affect the pitch and loudness.
Resonators and glasspacks are basically the same thing except for the fiberglass packing, which helps absorb more high frequency sound.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 3:45 PM
Quote:

Resonators and glasspacks are basically the same thing except for the fiberglass packing, which helps absorb more high frequency sound.

so let me get this straight, if i use a glasspack muffler and use it instead of a resonator, which you said are aboot the same thing, i will have less of a chance of my car sounding like a boosted weed-eater? please straighten my ass out guys. never worried aboot exhaust sound before with v8's and i can't stand "the sound" of some cars.
thanks in advance

Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:33 PM
i have the magnaflow catback, with a pacesetter header and catco cat waiting to get put on, i like my magnaflows sound its not that loud unless you give it a lot of gas, and hopefully it will sound better once the header and rest get put on

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

UNLIMITED streaming online movies
Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:58 PM
All cars will respond to chages differently, but generally the glasspack will absorb alittle more sound. Also, the longer the glsspack, once again , generally, the more sound it will absorb. Most glass packs are relativly inexpensive, so it wouldn't be too expensive to expement with them, if you install them yourself. If you want the quetest possible try the Thrush Magnum glasspack that is 35" long(part#24211,$25.88@ Summit Racing), which is what I'm working on now(pending on work, weather and child). I'm also using a high flow cat, which will be moved forward about a foot to fit the glasspack. There are shorter glasspacks also, if you dont want to be moving the cat and fabricating everything , just measure how long the straight length of pipe is from the back of cat to the first bend and get a glasspack that will fit. If you just want to tone it down a little, just use a shorter glasspack. It all depends on what sound you are after.
NOTE: for the best performance get the perforated core glasspacks, not the louvered core, which impeads gas flow. Also note the diameter of the inner tube, on glasspacks they will step down in size,i.e. 2 1/4" inlet/outlet, with a 2" core, you will lose some flow there.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:20 PM
Be careful with those thrushes.
Most their inner cores are 2".

The one you ordered actually has a 2.5" inner core.
But that's fine is that's what you want.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.

Friday, March 04, 2005 5:33 AM
As i will say again sound is going to differ. People will give different answers people have different tastes some of us here may be older some younger. I know what i like in an exhaust about 5years ago i don't like anymore.

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, March 04, 2005 6:18 AM
to be honest, the 4-2-1 header is going to give you more power down in the low band areas. better off the line power. the 4-1 header gives you like 1 more horsepower in the upper RPM areas, but overall, the 4-2-1 is a better deal.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, March 04, 2005 6:33 AM
Whoa here we go again. Yes 4-2-1 will help with low end. But test done on other cars overall a 4-1 header was better. Our cars already have good low end we need all that we can get for thew upper end of the band and a 4-1 header will help more than a 4-2-1.
There has really been not formail test on Cavalier header to say what is better. We are just going off test from other cars. The only test done was done on different days, and the difference could have been just due to different time weather etc.

KC Absolute performace you have made statements in other post. I am not a performace guru but i know some info is not entirely correct.

all the time

Friday, March 04, 2005 6:38 AM
i don't use dyno testing to prove points, i get mods done and go out and race. and if 95 2.2 3spd auto with a cold air, 4-2-1 header, roller rockers, and a catback can put a car length on a 97 2.2 5spd manual with a short ram, 4-1 and a catback (which by the way the man can drive quite well) then i'd say it's a better header.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, March 04, 2005 6:51 AM
Ok so was this on a track. Some cars come from the factory runn better than others. Comparing one car to another is not a good comparison. There are variable that can make that inaccurate. Most time people want to see a Dyno test because racing is not a good indicator. May be you ran faster, May be his car is not running at its best etc..

Not saying he is not a good driver, that in its self is a variable. Also Auto run more consistent than Manuals. In a Manual, don't shift fast enough almost miss a shift yes you could loose.

all the time

Friday, March 04, 2005 6:54 AM
Just to say this guy has a 2.4 and there is only one 4-2-1 header that is made buy bills and for most people on here they are not going to pay about $500 on a header.

all the time

Monday, March 28, 2005 4:56 PM
ok guys, sorry to bring this one back, and sorry to jack the thread, but i was wondering how the fitment of the pacesetter 4-1 header is on the 2.4. i am looking into buying the ceramic coated one from turbo-tech in the GP and just want to know before i commit to anything. thanx guys

this is my sig
Monday, March 28, 2005 10:15 PM
Well, I dont have a J-body but I'm getting this PaceSetter Header for my GA @ $184.99 + shipping, should go good w/ the supercharger . I dont think its a bad price, they also have one for the 2.2 Eco. I dont know if they would be a direct fitment for a J, but I think they could if someone is interested and for the price.....

Header

H.O.N.D.A = Hold On Not Done Accelerating
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search