New Exhaust Pics... and questions... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Exhaust Pics... and questions...
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:01 PM
Just got my new exhaust installed yesterday. Here are some pics:

I had the shop install custom piping 2.25" all the way back. They also installed my pacesetter ceramic 4-1 header. The only problem the shop told me was with the down pipe to the header. He said that it was a tight fit and the firewall was in the way so he had to fabricate some extra pipe to reach the cat. As a result when I was driving it away I could hear a very raspy almost gurgling type sound from the engine, and it smelled very bad. Turns out that the connection from the header to the downpipe was not sealed very properly. Apparently the downpipe that came with the pacesetter wasn't very good. So I called them up and told them and they said that they would fabricate a new downpipe that would seal better. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Did anyone else have this problem when they installed? Also becuase he put in the extra piping there wasn't enough room to fit my dynomax thrush magnum 25" glasspack. If I get the downpipe replaced will the resonator fit? Or do I have to get a shorter one? I'm also considering doing an exhaust cut out in my rear bumper and was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this or if there are any threads on the topic. I want to tuck the exhaust up higher and just have the tip showing out the back bumper. Thanks!

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"

Re: New Exhaust Pics... and questions...
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:31 PM
ive put in several pacesetter headers , and havent had any issues with the down pipe

other than is kinda a pain to get the springs washers bolts and nutsput together , which isnt really fault of the header , its just lack of room

only issue ive seen is not getting the bolts and nuts tight enough , or not putting the springs in the right place

they should go like this - bolt , washer , flange , flange , washer , spring , washer , nut

it doesnt matter what side they go through first as long as the parts are done in that order

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:44 PM
How much did that all run you?
Jan 10th?
Is my b-day too.

But yeah everything is a tight fit.
If you're 2.25 piping all the way, you'll need the custom downpipe because the Pace pipe is designed for factory exhaust.

But you can take a dremel too and cut the back yourself if you wanted.
Or have a shop do it.
Its just cutting plastic. Or whatever material it is.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 3:08 PM
Wait, so the pacesetter downpipe is for factory exhaust? I thought it was 2.25". If I had known that I would have got a new downpipe when I took it to the shop to hook up to my high flow cat. Everything ended up costing me a little over $400 for piping, welding, and labor. I didn't ask for stainless but I think they put it on anyway . Thats why it was a little more expensive than normal.

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 3:12 PM
I don't know why they couldn't get the downpipe to seal right. I haven't had any problems. Personally, I would have gone somewhere else. They should have been able to work the resonator in there, I was gunna ask why they added pipe before the cat. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 4:54 PM
the down pipe on the header is 2 1/4"

Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:45 AM
I think the problem is with the downpipe clearing the firewall. I hear this is a common problem. Anybody know how to get around this without having to get a new downpipe fabricated? I think this is the reason why the downpipe isn't sealing correctly to the header, because the guy at the shop tried to pull it too far down to get it past the firewall.

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:50 AM
Hell, for my header they didn't use the Pacesetter downpipe, they just welded on some other piece and away I went. I really should put on motor mounts, but it's kinda hard with my car 250 miles away.

But I've had no problems since and that was, oh, about May of last year. But I don't want to take anymore chances.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 12:45 PM
I'm glad I found this Thread, I just recieved my Pacesetter Header for my Ecotec in the mail aswell as the high-flow cat and saw that they didnt match up. I was just like, "aw @!#$," I even took photo's to put up on the .org to ask what to do, here's one pic I took:

Downpipe on left, High-Flow Cat on right,

Sorry if this is any form of thread jacking.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 12:54 PM
the eco down pipe was swedged down to fit the stock pipe

which is why your high flow cat doesnt match up

and judging by the size of your cat is looks larger than 2 1/4"

Thursday, February 16, 2006 12:59 PM
^^^ trust me its not larger, its probably just how i took the picture (ie: distance, flash, etc..)

Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:14 PM
^^ Yeah it will fit, you just need to cut the nipple off. 97cavie is right, its to fit into the stock cat.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Thursday, February 16, 2006 2:22 PM
Hacksaw here I come!

Friday, February 17, 2006 8:09 AM
How did you guys fit the cat right on the end of the downpipe? Seems to me like there's no indentation in the frame to have it sit up that close. Thats why the shop had to put that extra pipe in. If I get a new downpipe fabbed that comes down farther, then will it fit?

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Friday, February 17, 2006 8:50 AM
your fine as it sits now

Friday, February 17, 2006 11:09 AM
Yeah, but I want to be able to fit my thrush magnum 25" glasspack in there and I can't unless I move the cat closer to the front of the car. But it doesn't seem like the cat can move forward anymore unless it hangs down a lot because there is no lip or indentation that close to the engine/downpipe.

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Saturday, February 18, 2006 4:01 PM
looks great....just exactly how it was done on my brother's Z24

CaviFL45

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search