New Heart for my cavy - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Heart for my cavy
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:07 PM
Well I have never really introduced myself on the org. I have been cruising the forums for a couple years and joined awhile ago. Thought I would make a proper intro and show some pics of my latest project. I have been collecting parts for about a year so im almost there.

still needs cleaned a little and painted but its honed +.020"

Here is whats going in there

Now up top

A little more fuel wont hurt either

After the engine is broken in and that power isnt enough

I also have a ported head that is currently on my car. Stage 3- 6 puck clutch kit , lower dogbone mount and trans mounts are ordered also.
I need to get a cometic .030" mls headgasket , but other than that im almost there.
check out my profile for more info c & c welcome

Re: New Heart for my cavy
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:31 PM
Those look like stock connecting rods so I take it you are not going for high whp numbers out of this setup just a nice litle boost literaly.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:00 PM
pistons are 3.524" speed pro hypereutectics with anti scuff coating
rings are +.020" speed pro premiums
rods are sportsmans, stress relieved and balanced with arp bolts
new sealed power cam, crank, and rod bearings
arp head studs
m-98 oil pump
comp cams magnum 1.6 rockers
gm vortec fuel pump
ford 30lb/hr injectors on my topfeed conversion and an afpr
warner ishi IHI rhb5 .60/.63 AR turbo internally gated at 10 psi
ebay log manifold

will be doing a 97+ ecu swap and tuning with hpt

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:09 AM
t25? If so, were in the same boat...

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:22 AM
nope its a t3, its off of an 87 thunderbird turbo coupe with a 5 speed. I've read that the automatic t-birds had a .60/.48 AR, the 5 speeds got an upgraded exhaust side that put it to .60/.63. It will spool quick and still push me to redline no problem.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 4:36 PM
My turbo was also a .60/.63 off a 2.3L Ford, but it was Garrett/AIR Research.
I do like the pistons, where did you get them?

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Wednesday, September 19, 2007 4:46 PM
Pistons came from summit racing. They are really light and will help for revs, plus they are a matched set and have the anti scuff coating.

OH YEAH AND SHINY TOO!!!!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:02 PM
I am going to be doing the ls1 hybrid lifter swap and one of the last things I need to work out is a set of performance pushrods. I know that I can call up pretty much any cam company and have them make me a set of customs, but.. I was just wondering if any company now has them listed or what companies has anybody gone through to get them and a price. This is a budget build and the final cost will be posted after the engine is running. Also if anyone has any input or suggestions, I am very open to ideas. I would also like to hear from Madjack and Slowolej or any of the ln2 gurus, as I have read numerous posts of theirs and respect their opinions.

Thanks for looking and the comments.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:56 PM
I got my pushrods for like $85 from crower. that was a while ago, so inflation has probably raised that price some.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:01 PM
Well its not exactly an engine part, but my new stage 3 clutch kit came today.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:56 PM
Nice build you have going, are you going to be doing the top feed conversion?

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:24 AM
Actually the fifth picture down in my first post is my topfeed setup. It still needs cleaned up and painted though.

Monday, October 01, 2007 10:03 PM
Well I spent my night making a set of ls1 hybrid lifters. It actually wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. It only took an hour or so to do all eight. I got them new off of ebay for like 50 bucks and I am going to make a spare set with the extras. I think it is a simple, practical solution that should outperform the stockers, for a fraction of the cost.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 8:22 AM
that clutch is a bit excessive for your build. Im putting down 375rwhp on my stang and back it up with a 125 shot of nitrous and I dont even need a 6 puck clutch...

kiss your tranny goodbye in short order

1994 Ford Mustang Cobra

1997 Sunfire GT
Tuesday, October 02, 2007 8:30 AM
I gave $220 shipped for the clutch, which isn't much more than a stock replacement. I prefer a grabby clutch so I got the stage 3 six puck. Tranny should be fine because the diff is the main thing that likes to go out in an isuzu. To help with that I am putting in stronger spider gears and an lsd insert.
No Worries

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 9:25 AM
Lookin good. The lifters do work, so no worries there. Be very careful of detonation with hypereutectic pistons. Also watch for blown shift forks or synchros in the trans if you really start beating on it.

Quote:

its a t3, its off of an 87 thunderbird turbo coupe with a 5 speed

FYI, the IHI turbo was used in later years and is smaller than the earlier Garrett T3. Maybe a bit larger than a T25?

Reference info taken from http://www.stinger-performance.com/faq.html :

"What turbo should I get for "X" hp?
-Stock (87-88 Turbo Coupe) Ishi-Warner IHI: Less than 250rwhp, super quick spooling (full boost at 1800-2000 rpm with a few airflow mods) but runs out of steam at higher engine speeds. Great for heavy cars or daily drivers. Good to 18psi or so.
-Stock (83-86 Mustang/Turbo Coupe, 84-89 Merkur) Garrett/AiResearch T3: Up to about 300rwhp. Full boost at 2500 rpm or so with a few airflow mods, pulls pretty well up top. Has a very hard "kick" when boost kicks in. Great for a daily driver/street terror with minor mods. Good to 23psi or so."

Is that clutch from EZClutch? Any manufacturers marking on it, such as Sachs, or ???

-->Slow
Tuesday, October 02, 2007 3:38 PM
I know that I need to be careful with the hypereutectics, but for the price I couldn't pass them up. I just need to make sure that I have a proper tune and they should be fine. It will be awhile before its all together, but the reason I am building this engine(besides the fun of it), is to show what kind of power the ln2 can make on a budget. My estimation as of late is that I will be around the $1500 mark including the built engine, turbo setup, and my transmission upgrades.

As far as the turbo goes it is plenty big enough for me. I wanted a quick spooling turbo so I had a wider RPM range to use the power. I may tweek the max RPM if I get a different cam, but for now its gonna stay stock with factory or close to it rev limit. I am not worried about running out of boost at the top, because I plan on sticking to the stock gated 10 psi.

Traction with the boost so soon is a concern that I am going to have to work on. Any ideas or comments welcome.

Clutch is from EZClutch, I didn't see any markings, but never really looked to close. I will give it a better look later this week when I get home, I am at college until thursday.It seems to be of good quality and should hold well and have good wear characteristics.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 5:18 PM
Quote:

My estimation as of late is that I will be around the $1500 mark including the built engine, turbo setup, and my transmission upgrades.

Sounds like a good price to shoot for. I imagine I'll be somewhere in that price range also when I'm done with this engine.

Quote:

As far as the turbo goes it is plenty big enough for me.

Just meant to point out the difference in case someone had said they're all the same.

Quote:

Traction with the boost so soon is a concern that I am going to have to work on. Any ideas or comments welcome.

Imo no matter what we do we're always traction starved. If you can limit boost at lower rpm in lower gears until the wheelspeed is up you might do a little better. Putting weight in the front isn't a great thing for handling, but the physics of the situation show that any weight in front of the front axle aids launches better than weight behind the front axle, and weight behind the rear axle is especially bad.

GL, keep us updated.
-->Slow
Thursday, October 04, 2007 6:57 AM
As far a weight behind the rear axle its pretty much my battery in the trunk and thats it. No carpet, no spare, its pretty much gutted back there. I have a full interior but I pulled out the sound deadening and cushion material out from under the carpet. Racing seats up front and I cut some of the rear seat frame out to save a pound or so. Eventually I will do a nice rear seat delete but for now its gotta have a back one as its my DD. I am going to try heavier springs and different ride heights in the back to try to counteract weight transfer. As much weight as I can keep towards the front of the car the better. This will be after it is no longer a daily though.

I am in the process of hopefully getting another j to make my new DD. I will keep posted on the build and on the staus of the new car.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 6:21 PM
The other car I am hoping to get is a 95 z24 5 speed with a blown 2.3L. The seller is being lazy and hasn't gotten back to me.(nobody on here, don't worry). If I don't get ahold of the z, I will probably be buying these next week. Cometic mls .030" headgasket, crower 7.400" .080 wall chrome moly pushrods, and a DOHC geo storm tranny for a better diff and final drive ratio. I am really hoping to get this other car, but if I do the engine stuff will get put off a lil bit more. My thoughts are turning the z into the racer and swapping in a 97+ 2.2 ecu/engine harness, the built and turboed 2.2, and most of my performance stuff off of my current cav. So ultimately my cav now will be closer to stock and stay my DD and the z will be my toy.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:43 PM
comin along great bro! wish i had the time and money to get into something like this.... anyways keep up the good work!

Sunday, October 14, 2007 7:13 PM
Just came yesterday.
Not an engine part, but probably the new home for my built 2.2. Its a 95 Z24 5 speed and its a pretty solid car besides the blown quad 4. I know it needs a good cleaning and some new tires in the front but its a good start.

That hunk of junk is getting pulled out in favor of the MIGHTY OHV!

Monday, October 15, 2007 10:44 AM
Hey, Red! You could always sell that Quad4 to a Fiero guy. They love 'em! Plus, think of the cost you'd recoupe. Just remember: The Quad4 is based on a Lotus-designed race engine. 100,000mi is the limit with them before a mandatory rebuild. (Hmmm... It's said that the gen-2 Hemi is supposed to go 100,000mi of normal driving before needing a rebuild. Question is, what's normal-driving for a 426 Hemi? )

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, October 15, 2007 3:39 PM
The quad 4 thats in the car doesn't run. Its know that it has damage to the head and probably a blown headgasket. I am hoping the bottom end is still ok and i can sell it and some other parts off of it. I need to get a 97 2.2 ecu and engine harness so i can run the ohv and use hpt. I would like to have this car going by spring/ summer of 08, so I have a lot of winter work to get done on it.
I need a few more parts to finish my engine, so im hoping santa brings me some car stuff

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:52 AM
lookon good...makes me want to start mine sooner then i planned..lol! have fun! i know i will be!

"If you have no clue what's going on... STFU!"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search