what else can i do to get more power out of a 2.2 ohv - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what else can i do to get more power out of a 2.2 ohv
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 12:44 PM
so far i have a custom cold air intake and a glass pack and a tip. im thinkn about taken the cat off and put a straight pipe n place of that.. is there any cams or a diff head i could put on it to get mores power out of my car??? its a 95 cavalier with a 5 speed

Re: what else can i do to get more power out of a 2.2 ohv
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 12:50 PM
2 threads isnt going to get you a faster response.

However, theres a TON of OHV threads if you search.

It depends on what youre looking for. TONS of power you will have to work a lot for.

If you want a lot of power, research into getting a turbokit made for the car, and some tuning.

Otherwise theres a header, larger exhaust setup (2.25" or 2.5" recommended for n/a), 1.6:1 roller rockers, port/polish/shave the head, bore out the tb, nitrous, motor mounts (really won't give you more hp, but the motor wont slop around), as for a cam there are a couple companys that make cams for the OHV however it might be better to call and get one specific to what youre looking for.

All of that stuff can be used with a turbo setup as well..

Search around here theres tons of threads about how to get power from the OHV.
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:06 PM
If you were interested in performance then why did you buy a car with the base model engine? Probably the same reason you made 2 posts asking the same thing..

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:55 PM
^Maybe he's like some of us who bought the car as a cheap means of transportation, then decided to try and up the power. I sure wouldnt buy the OHV if I was looking for easy power, but thats what I had and just decided to take the power on it up a notch or 2. On the other hand some people just like a challenge.

I agree with the 2 posts part.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007 9:13 AM
well i only paid 800 for the car and i seen what other ppl have done to there cars and its cheap on gas and there is alot of these cars where i live in the junk yard so yea.....and for the two posts i hit the wrong button...thanks i got alot of questions answered...

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:24 PM
Get a header. The exhaust is fine, but its not doing much of anything without one. It all depends on what you're going for, if you want to run with altima 3.5s, you'll need full CAI and full exhaust (header, high flow cat, cat-back). (I'd recommend getting it tuned as well, my city mpg dropped big time after mods).

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:42 PM
LOL He is going to need alot more than that to run with 3.5 liter altimas. They run a 14.6 completly stock that means I barely run with them. Uneducated people with a big mouth like you are the ones who give us a bad name.

Here is a link so you can read up.
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/11862/2007-nissan-altima-35se.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:40 PM

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:45 PM
Hang with an Altima 3.5? I think it will take more than an intake and header on a 2.2 ohv to run with a 240 hp or 270 hp V6...

----------------------------
<<<<<2003 Sunfire Sedan>>>>>

Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:15 AM
Oh really? Then tell me how I've hung with them....14.6 with a good driver AND a manual transmission.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:27 AM
Rob Durrett wrote:Oh really? Then tell me how I've hung with them....14.6 with a good driver AND a manual transmission.

verses 17.0 with a good driver AND a manual transmission.

Dude just give it up.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:31 AM
Wade Jarvis wrote:
Rob Durrett wrote:Oh really? Then tell me how I've hung with them....14.6 with a good driver AND a manual transmission.

Dude just give it up.

17.0?
No.
For one the LN2 is NOT a 17 second car, its a 16-16.5. And two, it takes very little to see an increase with it because its one of the most limited cars stock. Read up before posting your retorts.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:07 PM
Rob Durrett wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:

Dude just give it up.

17.0?
No.
For one the LN2 is NOT a 17 second car, its a 16-16.5. And two, it takes very little to see an increase with it because its one of the most limited cars stock. Read up before posting your retorts.
Don't bother, he just has some unexplained hatred for the LN2.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:21 PM
Rob You can't show me a completly stock 2.2 OHV jbody that runs a 16.0. By the way I love how it ranges a half second in 1/4 mile times. Plain and simple you opened up your mouth and made fool of yourself and now you are geting defensive because I called you on it. Actually I think a better word would be OWNED.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:26 PM
Anybody want to trade a low km L61 for an LN2? I'm tired of getting my ass handed to me by these V6 Altimas.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:33 PM
OHV notec wrote:
Rob Durrett wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:

Dude just give it up.

17.0?
No.
Don't bother, he just has some unexplained hatred for the LN2.

Good point, I'm done arguing against the idiocy that spews forth from his mouth.

OWNED nothing, its simple fact that the stock time is NOT 17 and the variance is driver dependent. Seriously, educate yourself, you're just being an ass.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:40 PM
^^^ that will be the smartest move. my friend made a LN2 auto hit the 13's mind you it was no longer street leagel. no glass no interior a race seat. rebuilt the motor port and polished head halfed the exhaust custom ram air intake. custom one off cam. the trunk was gutted of the spare tire well. the bumper had holes drilled in it for weight redustion. skined the trunk lid zues pined on. the hood was skined and pinned on. also the latch mechinisim and all unessecary wiring was removed all door internals where removed. 4 point roll cage. damn it was ugly loud but it was stupid quick. i sat in it where the passenger seat use to be leaning against the cage going for a test drive i had an inprint from the cage in my back . LOL.. Thats the only way to make an LN2 fast NA. it was setup for dirt track racing it just ended being quick all around. for a street car with all the normal equipment. go L61 or 2.4TC simply becuase thats a 50+ horse power increase with out boost and cheaper then the mods it would take you to get their with the ln2.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:47 PM
NightmaresCavy wrote:^^^ that will be the smartest move. my friend made a LN2 auto hit the 13's mind you it was no longer street leagel. no glass no interior a race seat. rebuilt the motor port and polished head halfed the exhaust custom ram air intake. custom one off cam. the trunk was gutted of the spare tire well. the bumper had holes drilled in it for weight redustion. skined the trunk lid zues pined on. the hood was skined and pinned on. also the latch mechinisim and all unessecary wiring was removed all door internals where removed. 4 point roll cage. damn it was ugly loud but it was stupid quick. i sat in it where the passenger seat use to be leaning against the cage going for a test drive i had an inprint from the cage in my back . LOL.. Thats the only way to make an LN2 fast NA. it was setup for dirt track racing it just ended being quick all around. for a street car with all the normal equipment. go L61 or 2.4TC simply becuase thats a 50+ horse power increase with out boost and cheaper then the mods it would take you to get their with the ln2.

Its not that hard to break into the 14s, but yea the 13s are damn hard with the LN2 unless using forced induction (not to mention that autos are worse with the LN2).

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:52 PM
I think if you don't want to spend a ton of money I would go one of three ways...
#1 if you have the tools and experience, find a eco donor car and swap em. If you look it can be done for less than a turbo setup and will probably get you similar results (considering you don't have internals done on the LN2 yet).
#2 - nitrous. its the best bang for your buck but i don't know if a stock LN2 can really take a lot of said bang and in many areas it can be more of a hassle on a DD with laws and such than its worth.
#3 - extreme lightweighting. Like the post above said, if you just want to go fast and don't care about comfort or an interior then get cutting.

Goodluck with getting the power you want and it doesn't matter what engine you have if you want to have fun or work on it and you had a ford tempo i'd say go for it and do what you want. I was only being an ass to the guy saying he runs with the Altima 3.5s but as for the OP i'm with you and good luck.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:58 PM
And Rob, did you look at the top 1/4 times list? For it being *not that hard* to break into the 14's all motor on an LN2 its wierd that only 1 person on the list (which is not saying that it is the be all and end all list of LN2s in the world or anything) made it there. Where is your name on there because if you're dusting altima's left right and centre you should probably post a time slip and get added!

E) 2.2L OHV N/A

1. smcavalier, 13.96@96.8
2. Bballjamal (Cav-AtL), 15.710 @ 89.64
3. blackcavygod, 15.879 @ 85.76
4. Anthony (Ant) Garcia, 15.978 @ 84.57
5. Jazer, 16.313 @ 80.54
6.Inochi, 16.686@82.63
7. Projekt Unknown, 16.802 @ 80.66
8. The01Cav , 16.834 @ 81.08
9. MadJack, 16.986 @ 80.21
10.Greg Zimmerman, 17.409 @ 78.45
11. BoltZ DesignZ(Brandon B.), 18.143@76.47

Thursday, December 20, 2007 1:11 PM
Adam Kappheim wrote:And Rob, did you look at the top 1/4 times list? For it being *not that hard* to break into the 14's all motor on an LN2 its wierd that only 1 person on the list (which is not saying that it is the be all and end all list of LN2s in the world or anything) made it there. Where is your name on there because if you're dusting altima's left right and centre you should probably post a time slip and get added!

E) 2.2L OHV N/A

1. smcavalier, 13.96@96.8
2. Bballjamal (Cav-AtL), 15.710 @ 89.64
3. blackcavygod, 15.879 @ 85.76
4. Anthony (Ant) Garcia, 15.978 @ 84.57
5. Jazer, 16.313 @ 80.54
6.Inochi, 16.686@82.63
7. Projekt Unknown, 16.802 @ 80.66
8. The01Cav , 16.834 @ 81.08
9. MadJack, 16.986 @ 80.21
10.Greg Zimmerman, 17.409 @ 78.45
11. BoltZ DesignZ(Brandon B.), 18.143@76.47
Actually, that 13.96 was boosted, he was in the 15s NA.

How many LN2s have been built (internally) NA? I can only think of two that would count, Scruf and Byron, both in the 13s IIRC.
It's not that it's hard to do (parts and info are readily available now), it's just that nobody has bothered to try really (largely in part due to posts like this, where the DOHC nay-sayers talk the newbs out of trying).

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Thursday, December 20, 2007 1:14 PM
I'll post my time slip once I go to the track. There are various reasons I have yet to go (one being that its about 30 miles from here).

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:04 PM
Rob Durrett wrote:Its not that hard to break into the 14s.

you've got to be joking.

Rob Durrett wrote:I'll post my time slip once I go to the track. There are various reasons I have yet to go (one being that its about 30 miles from here).

try driving 150 miles round trip every weekend for 3 months straight to go racing and then you can cry about distance. i would LIVE at the track if it was a measily 30 miles away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:06 PM

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:31 PM
Rob Durrett wrote:I'll post my time slip once I go to the track. There are various reasons I have yet to go (one being that its about 30 miles from here).

Please do post up some slips. So far it looks like you are all talk. What makes you think you can beat a 3.5 altima that runs a 14.6 stock when you do not even know for a fact what your car runs. They must not have known you were racing them.

Funny how you tell me to educate myself when I am the one teaching you. I think you need to educate yourself on what kind of times your car runs at the track before trying to talk to me about it. By the way I have owned 5 cars with either the 2.2 or 2200. Infact I have one right now as well as my z24.

If you want me to learn somthing how about you show me a what a completly stock 2200 runs in the 1/4 kinda like I did for you with the altima. Then we can bench race about how with

pacesetter headers
thermal cat-back
MSD ignition coils
(full) cold air intake
2.25" in+out cat.

you beat altimas.

So much for your not that hard to break into the 14s argument.

Just like zyaaa said if I lived 30 minutes from the track I would live there. It is almost a 2 hour drive to 1/4 mile track for me. And by the way you did get owned you are just to stupid to realize it. Good day.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:44 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:

Please do post up some slips. So far it looks like you are all talk. What makes you think you can beat a 3.5 altima that runs a 14.6 stock when you do not even know for a fact what your car runs. They must not have known you were racing them.

Funny how you tell me to educate myself when I am the one teaching you. I think you need to educate yourself on what kind of times your car runs at the track before trying to talk to me about it. By the way I have owned 5 cars with either the 2.2 or 2200. Infact I have one right now as well as my z24.

If you want me to learn somthing how about you show me a what a completly stock 2200 runs in the 1/4 kinda like I did for you with the altima. Then we can bench race about how with

pacesetter headers
thermal cat-back
MSD ignition coils
(full) cold air intake
2.25" in+out cat.

you beat altimas.

So much for your not that hard to break into the 14s argument.

Just like zyaaa said if I lived 30 minutes from the track I would live there. It is almost a 2 hour drive to 1/4 mile track for me. And by the way you did get owned you are just to stupid to realize it. Good day.

Its a professional raceway meaning that there are also specific times its open to the public. (I said that was ONE of the reasons)
1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE Conv. 7.9 16.0
That would be my car STOCK.
I will gladly post my time slip to shut you up when I get the chance.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:53 PM
a built engine to hit 14s...

a thread made about "hanging" with a mid size family sedan...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search