2000 Sunfire with sr20det?? - Performance Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
2000 Sunfire with sr20det??
Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:11 PM
Hey everyone I have a 2.2L 2000 2 door sunfire. It currentyl has 255000 kms on the stock... well everything. I have an idea of craming a sr20 turbo engine in it and turning it into rear wheel drive!!!! Just wanted to get some opinions from people and see if anyone had some input into what rear end i should use along with anything else you can think of!! Let me know what you think of the idea to please.

Re: 2000 Sunfire with sr20det??
Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:19 PM
First

Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:24 PM
you'll have to find out for yourself. no one has ever tryed this... let us know about the progress

Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:25 PM
third.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:29 PM
4th...IBTL!

I would LOVE to see this. But it will NEVER EVER EVER EVER happen.

EDIT: I fail at typing today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:37 PM

Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:45 PM
dont let these people fool you. i crammed a viper engine into my cav.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:46 PM
Have faith, time will tell, this is not going to be my daily driver for long. It will soon be sacrificed to the track as i am planning on getting something new. The plan is to hollow it out and build a tunnel for the drive shaft. I hope to get a full front clip from the s14 and swap everything into the body.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:54 PM
why not do a tube frame, and put a cavalier skin on it? it'll use just about as much of the cavalier would if y try this swap, and would be a lot less work.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:08 PM
Turbo Ecotec > SR20DET for a J-body power plant. For the same about of time and money wasted on the conversion, you can easily have a 500hp L61 Ecotec.

I had everything lined up to drop a Ferrari V-12 into a J and make it RWD. But my uncle's sister's boyfriend's dad's shop that was suppose to do the work fell into a black hole.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:46 PM
And for the amount of time & money you'd waste trying to achieve such a lofty, outlandish goal... you could just search around for a J-car that's already RWD (Think: Pre-'82) and shove anything from a Geo Metro 3-cyl to a 800+ci big-block Chevy into it with ease beyond belief! The only problem you'd have is that those old J's are getting hard to come by... Hence the time reference I made.

Oh, wait... Look! Here's one for sale for less than $1000.00 near me. And it's in good shape, too....

Get my drift, son?

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:12 PM
Ok im jumping on this one, first of the sr20 sucks second the NEO V V L is way better than the sr20, third a KA24 is better for boost and you will get more out of this engine, either way you will have to build the engine no matter what motor you run, your 2.2 will have more power turbo than the sr20. Im into nissans and i know what the motors can do, trust me it would cost you alot more than building a 2.4 ld9.

One thing you can do, get a 2.4 and get an adapter plate on it and make it rear wheel drive, boosted and enjoy having no traction, doing this would be more impresive.

http://www.quad4rods.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100041

this would give you a better idea.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:41 PM
Yeah, no traction... As opposed to FWD, where the weight-transfer upon launch actually takes weight off the drive wheels, as opposed to putting it on them? Like what happens with RWD? There's a reason there's a saying amongst the serious motorsports enthusiasts: If it don't drive the rear wheels, it's just transportation.

And BTW: Those big, butt-ugly wings some of you insist placing on your front-drivers... to do you more harm than good that you think they do.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:47 PM
I say dooo it, with overnight parts from japan.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.
Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:39 PM
LOL this is like the 5th one of these posts this week!

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:15 PM
BlackEco wrote:LOL this is like the 5th one of these posts this week!

yeah for real sheesh

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, May 01, 2009 12:17 AM
FIFTEENTH!!

and yeah good luck with that..

i think it would be cheaper to just buy a 240.. but that's just me..

Friday, May 01, 2009 2:17 AM
use a gallow 8 instead of the gallow 6 engine instead.

Friday, May 01, 2009 4:33 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:Yeah, no traction... As opposed to FWD, where the weight-transfer upon launch actually takes weight off the drive wheels, as opposed to putting it on them? Like what happens with RWD? There's a reason there's a saying amongst the serious motorsports enthusiasts: If it don't drive the rear wheels, it's just transportation.

And BTW: Those big, butt-ugly wings some of you insist placing on your front-drivers... to do you more harm than good that you think they do.

A good suspension can take care of most of the weight transfer issues. A serious motor sports enthusiast does not care what set of wheels are being driven, but if you hang out with the mullet crowd I guess that we cant expect much more from you. Also "Those big, butt-ugly wings" that some of you RWD people insist on using..they dont do @!#$ for you besides create more drag.

Friday, May 01, 2009 5:02 AM
Oh this reminds me of the old days

Friday, May 01, 2009 5:58 AM
Scott Saunders wrote:Hey everyone I have a 2.2L 2000 2 door sunfire. It currentyl has 255000 kms on the stock... well everything. I have an idea of craming a sr20 turbo engine in it and turning it into rear wheel drive!!!! Just wanted to get some opinions from people and see if anyone had some input into what rear end i should use along with anything else you can think of!! Let me know what you think of the idea to please.

You know how in school they tell you there are no stupid questions?

Well, they were wrong.

And this is one.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 01, 2009 5:58 AM
This thread is so gay.......

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous

Friday, May 01, 2009 9:16 AM
Vincent Morris wrote:use a gallow 8 instead of the gallow 6 engine instead.

dude, screw that! brian o'conner had a gallo 10 in his skyline.

Friday, May 01, 2009 9:28 AM
puff puff pass nuka......

Friday, May 01, 2009 9:32 AM
at least hes not asking how to put the colbalt motor in his car

Friday, May 01, 2009 12:00 PM
mitdr774 wrote:
Nickelin Dimer wrote:Yeah, no traction... As opposed to FWD, where the weight-transfer upon launch actually takes weight off the drive wheels, as opposed to putting it on them? Like what happens with RWD? There's a reason there's a saying amongst the serious motorsports enthusiasts: If it don't drive the rear wheels, it's just transportation.

A good suspension can take care of most of the weight transfer issues. A serious motor sports enthusiast does not care what set of wheels are being driven, but if you hang out with the mullet crowd I guess that we cant expect much more from you. Also "Those big, butt-ugly wings" that some of you RWD people insist on using..they dont do @!#$ for you besides create more drag.
The only mullet I see is on your momma's head. And if you see a RWD car with a big wing, odds are it's setup totally for drag... racing, that is. Unless it's a '69 Charger Daytona or '70 Road Runner Superbird... Then it's only there to help make use of them legal under NASCAR's rules for the '69 & '70 seasons. And help them do 200mph on the super-ovals. But what do I know... I'm just a guy tired of seeing an advanced society do increasingly stupid things. Like mod FWD cars.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search