600 dollar budget possibly - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
600 dollar budget possibly
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:49 PM
im trying to sell my pc and looking to get 600 or more for it. what should i do to my sunfire with 600 dollars?

i have intake, upper mount, subs and amp and HU, new tires and thats about it

was thinking, 2.25in exhaust, header, nice muffler, lower mount, and maybe a pulley if i can find it or a strut bar. what would you guys do?

Re: 600 dollar budget possibly
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:55 PM
I'd go with complete intake, motor and tranny mounts, strut bars and work your way towards suspension then motor mods. I believe in work from the ground up. Learn how to drive and handle your car, then go for power adders. just my .02 cents.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:16 PM
I have 2 STB's for sale, check sig.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:19 PM
Dr.Vega wrote:I'd go with complete intake, motor and tranny mounts, strut bars and work your way towards suspension then motor mods. I believe in work from the ground up. Learn how to drive and handle your car, then go for power adders. just my .02 cents.

x2 with $600 you can find a decent suspension setup and have $ leftover for strut bars and lower mount.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:20 PM
i would work on handling. thats where i started.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:11 PM
yeah i wanna do the handling first, i have the upper mount already, i wanna get the lower one sense the bolt for the upper rubs the belt and i hear the lower mount raises the engine a little bit.

so how does this sound

Lower mount
Intake
Strut bar rear and front
sway bars or coils/suspension?

i think that would take up 600?
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:21 PM
would like to go for comfort and fuel mileage, i forgot to say i have an intake but its stock tubing with cotton mesh cone filter, had metal tubing but the o2 sensor would fit in it very well and lead to crappy gas mileage so i just put stock tubing on.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:26 PM
Just to let you know..... replacing your motor mounts and putting strut bars on your car wont effect your handling at all..

It will make the car more "rigid"... but it will handle the same.

But if you can do all of what you posted above for $600... I would do it.... although I would replace the suspension before throwing sway bars at the car..

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:27 PM
its your iat in the intake tube.

but it sounds like you got a really good start

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:28 PM
well i know mounts wont help suspension i just got the upper to keep my engine from hitting the firewall which it was doing at WOT and i want the lower mount so it will raise the engine so the upper mounts bolt doesnt rub the belt like it is doing now. what would new struts and coils do for suspension? smoother ride?
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:29 PM
whats a IAT?

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:52 PM
intake air temp

Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:34 AM
I've been thinking about doing a 3rd gen project next year, and I always go back to suspension and brakes first. As much as we all love power, lighter cars can make great use of handling mods on a proper race track (Yes, we're talking about corners. Left and right ones.). For the setup I've thought of is the Eibach sway bar kit, then a good set of coilovers (Tein keeps coming to mind, but they're expensive). If you wanted to do the coils and shocks/struts for cheap, you could use Eibach Pro-Kit springs with KYB AGX shocks. No idea how it will be for ride quality, but it's the best cheap alternative I trust to work well.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:46 PM
Quote:

x2 with $600 you can find a decent suspension setup and have $ leftover for strut bars and lower mount.

where do you buy your car parts at?
i only ask because if your looking to buy a quailty set-up your going to need more $ than that

Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:10 PM
WildCard wrote:
Quote:

i only ask because if your looking to buy a quailty set-up your going to need more $ than that

EBAY BRAND BABY! lol. save for suspension. and do it right. take my advice. i had to buy all new stuff again cuz i didnt know what i was doing first time around. makes a world of difference.

Friday, June 12, 2009 12:16 AM
I was thinking the same thing but fiqured he found something cheap....

I dont know the exact number.... but when I get around to installing a better suspension, some sway bars.... and replace my stock motor mounts..... its definatly going to cost me over $2,000 easy.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:22 AM
I'm mostly about power, but your car does need to handle well. For $600, I would get:
1. Get the lower mount to finish up. I noticed a nice difference when I got it on, car felt it had more grip
2. If you're gonna do suspension, you need the whole 600 to at least get a good shock/strut or perhaps used coilover set up, so I'd wait on that.
3. Crank Pulley- Do it yourself install too -I noticed more pulling power after 5 K or abouts
4. Exhaust, and get the 2.5 inch piping. That's what we should really have and will help you down the road with more power additions
5. Front and Rear strut bar or instead, rear sway bar to start. You'll love the rear sway bar. I noticed my rear strut bar but not like how I noticed the feel on the sway bar.

Good luck

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:55 AM
Mike (96RedCav) wrote:
WildCard wrote:
Quote:

EBAY BRAND BABY! lol. save for suspension. and do it right. take my advice. i had to buy all new stuff again cuz i didnt know what i was doing first time around. makes a world of difference.

Dropzone coilovers are the bomb!!

Err.. not really, but your car will feel like a bomb went off when the suspension gets rattled to pieces.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.
Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:45 PM
WildCard wrote:
Quote:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=92177&t=92177

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:50 PM
Exactly!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:03 PM
FastFireTwoTwo wrote:
Mike (96RedCav) wrote:
WildCard wrote:
Quote:

Dropzone coilovers are the bomb!!

Err.. not really, but your car will feel like a bomb went off when the suspension gets rattled to pieces.

Who said anything about coilovers?? I HAD the springs....Past tense.

Hence me saying

Mike wrote:i had to buy all new stuff again cuz i didnt know what i was doing first time around

Nice try for someone who is dropped on stockers according to their profile

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:21 PM

Friday, June 19, 2009 9:03 AM
what size and type of tires and rims do you have because that will make a good difference in how your car handles too.

your profile says stock, so..... I would asume it is not a lower profile tire.

I have eibach prokit springs, kyb agx struts(made it look great and handle a little better, still had body roll),

strut bars f and r, (didn't notice much, maybe felt a little more responsive as far as crisper turns, but still had alot of body roll.

eibach sway bars F and R, (wow, much better, kinda need better seats so I don't fall out, loads less roll and nicer to zip arround with(but the tires are the bad part))

light weight crank and alt pullies, upper motor mount insert(poly), trans inserts(poly), lower dogbone mount(with poly bushings), aem warm air intake(had to drill out the hole a little so the iat would actually fit in and stay snug with the gromit).(these have given me more engine noise(from the intake), better fuel economy, more vibrations(only starting out in first and if the rpm is on the low side and the engine is strugling)
I have the K brace at home awaiting install

other little things inside(non-performance based)

with all this, you feel how crappy a 205/55r16 in an H is like. (I can feel the tire roll over a little and it gets to be a little scary, with stock suspension I didn't notice it doing it as much because I didn't push it as much, and there was too much play in the suspension that I couldn't notice if it was doing it until it got really bad.

I am looking for some lightweight 17's that I like and it should make a world of difference.

next up for me I think is going to be better brakes, and maybe the neon rear conversion.
if not that, a supercharger would be nice too.

that would be my 2 cents anyway, well, maybe more than 2 cents, but this is my experience anyway.
cheers
steve

Friday, June 19, 2009 11:00 AM
WildCard wrote:
Quote:

QUALITY USED ftw :-)

Mike (96RedCav) wrote:
WildCard wrote:
Quote:

PLENTY of used suspension setups around the forum. this is what i have gathered the past couple of months:
$450 konis + sportlines (10-15k miles)
$40 GM strut bar
$30 RKS lower motor mount
$70 TTR eco upper
----------------------------------
= $590

VEGA - ty, that is exactly what i was talking about
STEVE - i just did DRT rotors (little shop from Massachussetts) and hawk pads ($25 ) and its a pretty good setup. powdercoated, slotted and drilled. have about 1,000 miles on them so far.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search