Ecotec supertech 75lb valvesprings - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec supertech 75lb valvesprings
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:25 PM
No that's not a typo. It seems like 75lb as well as 78lb kits are popping up on vendor sites.

Specs on the four types of spring Supertech sells

So as i understand it, and correct me if i'm wrong, but the 76 and 94 lb kits use a custom seat and seals, while the 75 and 78 lb kits use the factory seal. Of course i'd prefer to use the factory seal, i hated the seals that come with the GMR/94 lb kit.

My question is, being that the coil bind spec on the 75 versus the 78 is VERY close, and i'm not intending to build a crazy high revving motor, and using a comp stage 1 cam, wouldn't it be wise to use the 75 lb kit as the lower seat pressure will rob less power to turn the cams? I would imagine it's not very much at all, but 7-7.5k on comp stage 1 specs...which kit would you go with?

Re: Ecotec supertech 75lb valvesprings
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:41 PM
tuning in

Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:56 AM
I'm not sure if there is a whole lot of a differance here.

The ZZP valve springs if installed with the optional retainers are 76# and not 78# and thats only changing the installed height by 0.025".

But ya, it will take less power to turn the cam over....will it be a noticable differance.....I would assume no.

If your buying them new anyways, might as well go with the 75#, ZZP apparently turns theirs (with optional retainers) to 9000rpm.....so I'm sure 75# is more than enough seat pressure.

Thats my opinion anyways.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:27 AM
Sounds reasonable. Although any mention of zzp valve springs still makes me cringe .

It's weird that supertech would produce two sets of springs so very close in specs. perhaps they found compatibility from another product?

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:27 AM
dont forget, your stage 1 cams as well REALLY are minimal compared to stock. But based on how many applications their valve train fits, I could see them making 2 sets close, where as one will be sized better over another. What I mean by that is, if you needed that extra few lbs you could upgrade if you were BARELY binding with the lighter ones.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:31 AM
The coil bind and max lift specs for the 75 vs the 78 lb kit are very similar; and both of the max lift specs are in excess of 0.500" lift, which i will never see lmao. I thought seat pressure had more to do with high revs/pressure and avoiding float...

Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:30 AM
just out of curiosity... whats the installed height for these?

Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:28 PM
That difference in force doesnt make sense. They must have just figured out springs from like two different cars happened to work in ours. Watch for two of the springs in the 70 lb range to go on clearance and then go away.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, July 01, 2011 8:13 AM
Zyaaaa. IDK the installed height, but i think that number is somewhere on the org for 78lb springs

Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:That difference in force doesnt make sense. They must have just figured out springs from like two different cars happened to work in ours. Watch for two of the springs in the 70 lb range to go on clearance and then go away.
I'm not sure what you mean here lol. Do you mean clearance as in "sale" or as in space lol.

Friday, July 01, 2011 8:48 AM
Yeah derp, on sale.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search