ld9 timing question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ld9 timing question
Thursday, June 07, 2012 8:29 PM
hey everyone, i just bought a 1998 cavalier z24 for 400 bucks. it doesnt run. it cranks but dont start. the people i bought it from said they had they timing chain replaced a few months back at a shop it colorado. then they drove it back to oklahoma with no problems. then one day they said it just wouldnt start. while its cranking i dont hear and odd noises from the bottom end and nothing really from the head area either. also while its cranking it will backfire alittle.. could it have jumped time or something along that line? if so is the motor trashed? any advice would be great. it only has 136k miles on it btw

Re: ld9 timing question
Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:15 PM
not necessarily "trashed" per-say but yes its a possibility it jumped a tooth. no idea WHY though.. one has to question if the tensioner is worth a got damn....

when you break it down if the two dots (one on crank, the other on the timing chain housing) arent exactly lined up at TDC then its off.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, June 08, 2012 4:38 AM
when these motors jump time that can cause valve/piston contact correct? im just woundering if i should look for a new motor or not. it this one is even worth the time to brak down
Friday, June 08, 2012 6:28 AM
yes they are interference motors so its definitely a possibility.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, June 08, 2012 7:01 AM
*sigh*

Maybe I'm asking the obvious - but why are you going to tear down or replace the engine without doing a compression test, pending those results a leakdown test, checking for fuel and spark while cranking and finally ensuring all the sensors required to start the car are sending a proper signal. ??

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, June 08, 2012 10:05 AM
im going to pull the plugs tonight and take a look in the cylinder, if it looks good ill rent a compression tester saturday
Friday, June 08, 2012 8:42 PM
well i got the car home and pulled the spark plugs out and took a look down the holes and there is no sign that there was valve/piston contact.. also while its cranking you can hear and feel a tick noise at the top of the timing chain cover, so tommorow im going to take the cover off and have a look, that seems like all i can do
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search