Oil Pressure Sending Unit- Ecotec Help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Pressure Sending Unit- Ecotec Help
Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:49 AM
Help me find the supplies I need in order to hook up a sending unit on my Ecotec. Electronic.
I lost the connector I'm supposed to use for the head to sending unit, can't find it. ..

I used to have a sending unit with a single terminal on it to send the signal to the gauge, can't find that anymore either...

Now i've heard that it is a good idea to run some AN connections and hose so that the unit isn't right on the head, some insight and links would be awesome.

Re: Oil Pressure Sending Unit- Ecotec Help
Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:04 AM
How about this:
Sending Unit:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/2242/10002/-1

Adapter:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/2278/10002/-1

Lines: (Be nice to find this cheaper if needed)
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/3227/10002/-1

would that setup work?

Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:59 AM
First I would not put your sending unit on the head. The head will have a lower psi reading than the block. The block is the location of the factory unit.

FU Tuning

Saturday, June 30, 2012 3:47 PM
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Auto-Meter-2-1-16-in-0-to-100-PSI-Cobalt-mechanical-oil-pressure-gauge-includes-8-ft-wiring-harness-and-1-8-in-sender/_/N-25ls?itemIdentifi er=788953_0_0_

Well I have this in my 98 cavalier I just bought an adapter from Home Depot for $4 and a T for $6
so I can use my oil gauge and my
Sending unit at the same time
Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:38 PM
On ebay you can get machined adaptors that thread right into the block and allow a 1/8th ntp thread for things like an autometer sending unit.

click for ebay link

Is that what your looking for?

Sunday, July 01, 2012 12:05 PM
I think that would work, but it is more expensive that the autometer kind...
I'm going off the head just to get a general idea and I don't feel like tearing the front of the motor apart again. The head gives out a pretty high reading.

Sunday, July 01, 2012 12:07 PM
These are the lines I might run to the sending unit to get it away from the head:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/41057/10002/-1

Sunday, July 01, 2012 12:21 PM
It does not give a high reading. It gives a low reading actually...

Its not hard to get to the front of the engine. Best place to use as well...

Sunday, July 01, 2012 1:00 PM
Hell there are 3 spots on the back of the motor as well.

Sunday, July 01, 2012 1:27 PM
SLOCAV wrote:I think that would work, but it is more expensive that the autometer kind...
I'm going off the head just to get a general idea and I don't feel like tearing the front of the motor apart again. The head gives out a pretty high reading.

Trust me it does not give a high reading.

We swapped a motor out because we thought it had a oiling/bearing issue because of the reading in the head.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 01, 2012 4:47 PM
Any great location to put it on the back of the motor?
I am using one port already for a banjo bolt for the saab turbo oil feed. The other ports seem like they would be hard to get to because they are under the coolant piping.

Besides that though, would the setup I posted (links) be suitable?

Sunday, July 01, 2012 9:58 PM
Really why would it matter if it gives a high or low reading....as long as the reading is the same through the same temp and rpm ranges why would it matter really?

I have mine in my head...makes for a quick easy install.

I get 80psi on startup, 20psi when warm cruising, roughly 10 psi at idle when warm

The autometer sending unit I have is very different then the old one wire units though. Much smaller and more compact.
Sunday, July 01, 2012 10:14 PM
Philly D wrote:Really why would it matter if it gives a high or low reading....as long as the reading is the same through the same temp and rpm ranges why would it matter really?

I get 80psi on startup, 20psi when warm cruising, roughly 10 psi at idle when warm

The autometer sending unit I have is very different then the old one wire units though. Much smaller and more compact.

these are pretty much what i get too!

Monday, July 02, 2012 1:39 AM
SLOCAV wrote:Besides that though, would the setup I posted (links) be suitable?

Yes it does
Monday, July 02, 2012 5:34 AM
Philly D wrote:Really why would it matter if it gives a high or low reading....as long as the reading is the same through the same temp and rpm ranges why would it matter really?

That's kinda what I was looking to do anyway....
It's better than having a gauge that sits there on 0 and does nothing.

Monday, July 02, 2012 5:52 AM
A difference between a correct reading and a incorrect reading.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 02, 2012 8:11 AM
I would much rather know my correct precise oil pressure reading than just know I have oil pressure. Also if turbo and thats used for the feed... its not enough pressure to feed a turbo, unless its a ball bearing...

thats like running a narroband gauge instead of a wideband... It will show that its working, you just wont know if its working properly.

Monday, July 02, 2012 8:41 AM
Right I understand where you are coming from.
Are any of the ports on the front or back of the motor easily accessible?
I just remember the rear ports being very hard to get to, and haven't looked at the front ones, I'd rather not take the stock sending unit out and T off that.

Would I use Teflon paste or tape?

Monday, July 02, 2012 8:57 AM
I dont fully agree.... about it being like a narrowband..but whatever.

As for paste or tape I used paste and it works with no leaks.
Monday, July 02, 2012 10:02 AM
Philly D wrote:I dont fully agree.... about it being like a narrowband..but whatever.

As for paste or tape I used paste and it works with no leaks.

narrowband will tell you that your o2 sensor is working but its going to flash back and forth and all over just telling you that its working.
same thing for that side port... its going to tell you that you have oil pressure but it wont tell you how much you have.

i did put a tee off of the front with my oil pressure sender as well as my turbo feed line. i know what pressure is in the block as well as what is going to my turbo. They are not all that hard to access or get to.

Monday, July 02, 2012 12:12 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:I would much rather know my correct precise oil pressure reading than just know I have oil pressure. Also if turbo and thats used for the feed... its not enough pressure to feed a turbo, unless its a ball bearing...

thats like running a narroband gauge instead of a wideband... It will show that its working, you just wont know if its working properly.

I agree wtih you on everything except the turbo feed. I would not feed the turbo from the block, but only the head.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 02, 2012 12:56 PM
head was not enough and was an issue with my first turbo. at cruising I was lucky to see 15psi of oil. like he said I was getting 10psi at idle. id get 40 at cold start but then that would go away once it was hot and 15 just was not enough for those bearings.

Journal bearing turbo should see 65ish psi from the guy who rebuilt my turbo. currently it sees 80 cold start and 45 at idle... never got to cruise in it to find that out.

Monday, July 02, 2012 4:22 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:head was not enough and was an issue with my first turbo. at cruising I was lucky to see 15psi of oil. like he said I was getting 10psi at idle. id get 40 at cold start but then that would go away once it was hot and 15 just was not enough for those bearings.

Journal bearing turbo should see 65ish psi from the guy who rebuilt my turbo. currently it sees 80 cold start and 45 at idle... never got to cruise in it to find that out.

I know what the saying is as for pressure on a journal bearing turbo's, but real life experience shows me different.

A Eco can see over 100 psi of pressure out of the block (125psi cold with the blimp of the throttle). We had a freshly rebuilt journal bearing turbo smoking oil from the block. Moved to the head and smoking went away.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:53 PM
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I have a few questions. For a supercharged l61, what would be a reasonable place for an oil pressure sensor? Mines a decent size, about the size of a golf ball, got it from glowshift. I dont want to tap into the block, for the risk of shavings getting in, and the chance of human error on my part. I also do not want to use the oil feed plugs on the head because of a supposable wrong reading. Which one of the plugs should/could I use? Also... Haha how in the hell do you even get those things out?
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:33 PM
i am about to move mine to the port on the front side of the motor closest to the passenger side of the car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search