Now Hiring Students Full Time (Work Begins May 1st) - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Now Hiring Students Full Time (Work Begins May 1st)
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:00 PM
I am currently looking to hire new employees for my business franchise this summer. I am looking to hire 3-5 students who will be in the hamilton burlington area this summer.

Hours are full time (average 35-40 hrs/week). Work days are primarily mon-fri 8-5, but you must be willing to work weekends if needed. No experience is necessary, we will fully train you before the first day of work. Job duties consist mostly of basic labour work (cleaning: windows, eavetroughs, siding etc.) on residential houses and assisting with marketing. Applicants should be comfortable with heights up to 3 stories high (approx 30 ft), ladder experience and vehicle access are valued, but not mandatory.

I was very successful last year with this company. This year I am on track to double the size of my business, which is why I need good quality workers who want to work full time this summer.

We are insured ($2,000,000 liability coverage) and covered by WSIB.

Payroll is bi-weekly, but marketing bonuses are paid in cash at the end of each week. We also have company events which are always allot of fun.

I am willing to answer questions here as it will prevent me from answering to the same questions through emails repeatedly. I can go into allot more detail for anyone that wants more information.

I can be reached at d_simoes@hotmail.com, pm's here are fine but I check my email much more frequently. I will most likely be done hiring by April, so if you are interested do not hesitate to send me a resume so I can contact you.

Mods if this is considered business advertising please go ahead and delete it, I did not use the name of the company however so I don't think there is a problem with this post.

Help support the JBO! CLICK HERE!

Re: Now Hiring Students Full Time (Work Begins May 1st)
Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:37 AM
CORRECTION, email address is d_simoes@LIVE.CA, my bad.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:18 PM
Posting a pay rate may be helpful lol.

If I lived in the area, I would definately keep this in mind. Good luck with the hunt

BUY MY SAAB TURBO SETUP! --> http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/61091/
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:20 PM
Got2BeGT wrote:Posting a pay rate may be helpful lol.

I wasn't going to explain it here as this is something I would go over during the job interview, and because I may change a few things, but to give a rough idea:

Base wage is $10.25/hour

If in one pay period (2weeks) you work over 70 hours you will receive a $0.75/hr productivity bonus for all hours worked in that pay period. (After the first few weeks in may, production should be high enough that you should be receiving this bonus consistently).

Anyone who works after June 30 will receive a commitment bonus of $1/hour for the rest of the summer.

For every name of a customer you bring to me who would like a free estimate, you receive a $5 bonus paid cash each week. You are expected to be bring 5 leads/week, so you should be getting at least $25 at the end of each week. 5 leads can easily be attained by knocking on doors for 1-2hours, which means you would be making between 10-30/hour, depending on quickly you can generate leads. These customers do not actually need to schedule work to be done, they just need to be interested in a free estimate.

There are also a few paid for company events during the summer. For example, last year my employees were paid to go paintballing, Canada's wonderland was another option. I'm not sure what will be happening this yea yet as it is still very early in the season.

So basically you start at $10.25, should be making $11.00 by June, and get a guaranteed $1 raise on July 1st. So you would be making $12.00 as well as $25+ in bonuses each week, for the second half of the summer.

I am currently considering adding extra incentives ($5/lead for the first 5, $10/lead for every additional lead, or possibly double bonus for whoever generates the most leads that week, or some sort of employee of the week/month/year bonus). Anyone working for me can realistically expect to earn $3000-$5000 over the summer. All of this is covered in the employee contract you would receive if you were hired, and once signed I am committed to paying out all of the bonuses outlined in the contract. However until then, some of the bonuses may change (unlikely, but possible).

Also employee's are paid by a piece-rate system. When I do an estimate I figure out how long it would take 1 person to do the work, lets say it will take 12.9 hours. I take that and divide by the number of employees. If three people do the work that day, each employee would be paid for 4.3hours. A productive team will finish early but will still be paid the full amount. However, it is expected that for the first 1-2 weeks in may you will not be able to finish on time, for this reason you will be paid for actual work hours for the first 2 weeks. The time I allot for my employees to do the work is very generous, for 1 window (depending on size/location) I will give between 3-1.5minutes to clean it, I know I personally can easily clean that same window in under a minute. So it is much more likely that you will be finishing ahead of schedule than behind schedule (after the first 1-2weeks).

Got2BeGT wrote:If I lived in the area, I would definately keep this in mind. Good luck with the hunt

Whats you postal code? I can look up the manager in your area if you would like. I'm sure they are hiring as well. We are a very large company (largest window cleaning company in North America actually).

Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:14 PM
he lives in the L1C 4V4
Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:25 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but sounds a lot like a company I worked for last summer. It all sounds good in the beginning, but really you get out there for 12 hr days and carrying heavy equipment knocking door to door to see if people want the service. There will be a few people making a ton of cash to act as "role models" for the new comers, but in reality these people are really the only ones getting paid. Your company hopefully is different, but I'm just putting this out there as a warning to those interested.
Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:53 PM
Yi Liu wrote:Not to rain on your parade, but sounds a lot like a company I worked for last summer. It all sounds good in the beginning, but really you get out there for 12 hr days and carrying heavy equipment knocking door to door to see if people want the service. There will be a few people making a ton of cash to act as "role models" for the new comers, but in reality these people are really the only ones getting paid. Your company hopefully is different, but I'm just putting this out there as a warning to those interested.

I'm confused as to if you are trying to warn me about the company, or if you are trying to warn others who might be interested in working for me.

If you are trying to warn me, don't bother. This isn't my first year with the company, I know how it works. The problem is most people don't understand the difference between a job and a business. When you buy into a franchise there is no magical guarantee that you will make money. I made money because I did everything my general manager asked me to do. Considering I made more last summer than I have ever made in a full year of work, I think its pretty safe to say that I'm probably not going to be losing money this year.

If you are trying to warn anyone who may interested in working for me, then you misunderstand the position they will be in. They will be working with me at the job sites scheduled for the day. The work is scheduled weeks/months in advance (I already have work scheduled into june). The only situation where they could come out to work and make no money would be if they came to work, and right when 8 rolled around, a thunderstorm hit. My employees are not at any risk of not making money over the summer. My employees will be making $3000-$5000 over the summer, depending how many months they work. That is not a exaggerated possibility, it is the expectation of what an average employee will do. A great employee could make more than that, but I'm not looking to create false hopes so that my employees get disappointed halfway through the summer and quit on me.

Since you obviously had a bad experience with whatever company you worked for/with last year, would you care to share their name? I'm interested to know if its one of the companies some of my friends have worked for as I know several companies that seem similar to mine, but once you are hired it seems like more of a cult that than a legitimate business.

Got2beGT, if you are interested there is a manager working in the L1C postal code, let me know if you want me to send you his email address. I don't know him personally, but its pretty safe to assume he is hiring this time of year.

To anybody else who may be interested, just so you are aware I have already contacted over a dozen people who are interested in moving forward with a job interview. I will be meeting with most of them this week. Most likely by the end of the first week of April I will have my team hired.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:51 PM
Unfortuantely, I am not one for door-to-door sales. I hate when people do it to me, and I'd hate doing it to other people lol. That and I already have a $10/hr job haha. Thanks anyways though.

BUY MY SAAB TURBO SETUP! --> http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/61091/
Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:07 AM
Not a problem, its not for everybody. Good luck with wherever you're working now.

Just to clarify for anybody else that might be worried about the marketing part. Right now I'm averaging about 1/5 people I talk to want an estimate, and about half of them book work. Those aren't guesses, I actually keep track of this stuff. So it really should take my employees more than 2 hours a week to get me suffiecient leads. I also train you on how to do this, so its not like you wouldn't know what to say. Its also a team quota, so if one person I hire is great at marketing and can get 10 leads/week on his/her own, then the other employees wouldn't have to do as much marketing.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:16 PM
Glad to hear that your business is actually legit. The company I worked for last summer was Spring Masters, I worked two full days pushing a 200 pound cart around with 2 other people trying to sell driveway sealing. When they were hiring they said we would make at least 200 maybe 500 a day, I made 20 dollars for 24 hrs of work, which doesn't even cover the gas costs of driving to work or food. Good luck with your team, and hopefully you have a productive summer.
Monday, March 22, 2010 2:06 AM
My brother was just hired by them. I thought it was kind of fishy that they promise him he'll make close to what I make, and yet they just seem to hire anybody (I think he had 1 20min interview and was hired). That's nothing compared to the interviewing process I went through for a similar position. Too bad he doesn't beleive me, or want to work for me instead, but I guess most people would not want to work for their younger brother anyway.

Sucks that you got screwed over last year. On the plus side atleast you didn't lose alot of money (atleast it doesn't sound like you did), if you'd be interested in doing similar work this summer, but with alot less risk of not making the money you expect (my employees are not required to pay for anything, equment is given to them, and I drive them around), let me know. I've still got a bunch of people to interview before I make any final decisions.

Friday, March 26, 2010 2:14 PM
Update: I have received more resumes from other sources than I expected, majority of positions have been filled. I am not accepting any new applicants at this point, as I still have quite a few applicants that I still need to interview.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:50 PM
Its that time of year again. Most details are the same, so I figured I would just bump this thread. Let me know if you are interested.

Part-time work also available (starts immedietly).
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search