When is the last time you saw a wagon? - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: When is the last time you saw a wagon?
Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:56 PM
I'm still diggin' around trying to find more info - this subject is a hard one to crack. There is a transmission blog here on J-Body - 123 pages long, gotta a lot of browsing to do, but so far no information on swapping an Overhead Valve auto for an Overhead Cam tranny. I do know the Brazil engine is an Opel sourced engine, while the OHV is regular GM - probably a big difference.
I did hop on over to AutoZones website, and just out of curiosity checked the torque converter part numbers to see if they match up.

The 2.0 Chevy OHV converter lists as B21FZ9

The 1.8 Brazil OHC converter lists as 125LUH/S

The 2.2 Chevy OHV converter lists as B21FJ9 with an alternate B21FJ9B

None of these are the same. If the converters are different, I'd be careful, find out some more info before you try a bolt on.

Saturday, January 07, 2012 3:14 PM
After doing a quick search @ Car-Part.com it appears the transmission bolt patterns or something else is different as a search for a Sunbird transmission doesn't bring up a single Cavalier or Cimarron in the results, just sunbird's, skyhawks and a few Firenza's.

Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:22 PM
Just a thought but I would check the starter in the cars original eng setup,and see IF it will line up in the donor 1st.If a non fit it probably will not bolt up the same.To me thinking on it driving 525 miles today this totally makes sense.I would think the blocks are a touch different btwn the 1.8 and 2.0 but as for a generic trans auto or manual would not matter.Tired and not thinking super hard I am burned out from driving.I would remove the starter and check the bolt pattern THAT will answer the ? in my opinion.

Monday, January 09, 2012 7:03 PM
B I N G O !!!

Light JUST Came on and Ron , you hit the nail on the head!!

I've got the 2.0 OHV and 2200 3rd gen OHV , and 1.8 OHC.

The Overhead Valve Engines have the starter located under the EXHAUST manifold side of the engine - towards radiator.
...and a breeze to change :-)

The Overhead Cam Engines have the starter located under the INTAKE manifold side of the engine - towards the firewall of the car.
....and VERY Difficult to get to!! :-(

Therefore the transmissions have to mate to that starter location on that certain type of engine, and WONT interchange!!
And to think that difference was right in front of me, and I didn't notice it.....I'll be darned!!

Thanks Ron - you did it again!!

. This a 2.0 OHC - note the master cylinder location - arrow points to the solenoid(starter still impossible to see even w/ head removed!!!)

.This is a 2.0 OHV - note the exhaust manifold location

Monday, January 09, 2012 7:49 PM
So see driving ALL day does pay off on thinking.I knew there was a easy answer to this but,literally forgot the mount spots on starter,OHC versus OHV.Mines in the front obviously I know but,never doodling on OHC it is def reveresed.So do I win a prize or something? Nevermind I will just keep thinking on stuff as it comes around to help.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:16 AM
thanks for all the research guys, after checking it out further i think it may be the torque converter possibly. the car drives just slips very badly while getting up to speed and after it get gets warm it will barely move,the transmission fluid is black, do you guys think if i flushed out all the dirty fluid and replaced the torque converter that would fix the problem or is it to far gone and needs the transmission rebuilt or replaced ?,

Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:11 AM
Just my 2 cents worth...(that sure ain't worth much nowadays...LOL)
If the fluid is black the tranny is toasted , I wouldn't try to coax any more miles out of her, taking a chance on getting stranded somewhere with a tow bill on top of it all. Perhaps you could consider a rebuild or a crate transmission. With the prices of used autos these days there is a good financial argument towards replacing an auto transmission.
Your situation has helped me analyze my needs some as well. While my transmissions are ok, I do have access to both of mine at a local junkyard for ....I'm guessing...about $200 apiece. I am seriously considering getting both of them and holding on to them for rebuildable spares. $200 bucks and a rebuild beats 4 grand for a used ...probably high mileage used car that usually is loaded with lots of worn out parts itself.
If you do luck up on finding a replacement transmission and a junk.....er....salvage facility...LOL...I'd recommend getting it rebuilt before using it. Chances are it has set a long time and needs fresh seals , clutches, and bands.
Whatever you course may be, I wish you the best!! :-)

Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:07 PM
If the fluid is black the tranny is done. do a search @ car-part.com for a used one, you might get lucky and find one with extremely low miles for under $200. I almost had one a few years ago that had less than 2,000 miles on it but somebody else with cash in hand beat me to it.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:48 PM
Now I need to say this 1st before you rebuild your trans.My nephews 98 accord totally neglected had black trans fluid drain out by me,and it is a auto and changed and ran some seafoam trans cleaner in it and drove a couple miles and came back and drain refill.No filter on it that is replaceable and drove again and car has 200k on it and when I did this it was 181 so idk.Personally I would drop out the trans get it rebuilt new stuff and torque convertor and should be good for a longgg while.Just my share and totally amazed my nephews car is fine.His fluid was stupid nasty and shifts fine,etc.Just the fluid being black means it done for sure,but a good flush and refill may be worth trying if you have not dropped out the trans already.I recommd a upgrade regardless just due to it's age and ? stuff for how it was cared for.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:04 PM
I just bought a 1985 Cavalier CS Wagon ! It's a one-owner car. (The Original owner died just six moths prior to his turning 100 year\s old !) The car has only 39K miles, has absolutely NO RUST, and all I have to do is steam clean the engine and put a new valve cover gasket on it. I already had a set of really nice 2000 Z24 rims & tires, so they are going on, I plan on tinting all of the windows except for the front windows & windshield, throwing some Eibach springs & Koni shocks & struts on her & upgrading the sound system. Sounds like a plan, eh? This is the fifth Cavalier that I have owned, but I've never owned one this old ! I may be hitting you guys up for a few suggestions in the future, so thanks in advance !
Attached is a picture of the car with the wheels & tint photo-shopped on.. What do you think ?

~ Mike ~

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search