Trying to source exhaust - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trying to source exhaust
Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:37 AM
Well it seems as our 1st gens get older even simple things aren't quite so simple anymore.

Noticing that my intermediate pipe is getting ready to need replacement I decided to get some ideas together for some exhaust work on my Wagon. That is where things begin to get hairy.

The very pipe that is rotting out is proving to be a headache to source. The big ticket items such as the Cat and Muffler are still out there....at least for now. A couple of years ago I replaced the exhaust on the Pontiac from the Converter back and had an interesting time sourcing a lifetime muffler for it (kinda makes one wonder what the warranty is good for if you cant source the replacement...LoL)

I am even running into data contradictions regarding the fitment of that intermediate pipe. Walker Website quotes a pipe that Advance Auto quotes doesn't fit and there isn't any other pipe listed out there as far as I can tell.

I think I may have found one at RockAuto - but again it list this pipe as non fitting for the Wagon.

This old man is somewhat confused. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Re: Trying to source exhaust
Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:48 AM
Looks like Rock Auto has phantom part - no suprise there.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:21 AM
I would go to an exhaust shop and have them make you a nice stainless steel one for a few hundred dollars if your car is really nice. If you order something online with how old the car is and lack of popularity I am sure you will run into so issues.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:22 AM
Just some follow up information. I keep a lot of my receipts and remembered I just might have them for the exhaust when i replaced it last time. Good news - I did have them.

The intermediate pipe I bought and installed was indeed the Walker 46614, so now I do know this pipe will correctly fit. Maybe this will help out our Long Top friends here on J-Body.

That pipe was purchased in August 2008 so I think I got a good bit of life out of a cheap $24 piece of pipe!

If not able to find one out there somewhere i just might have to grit my teeth and get the one off of EBAy, but there is still a possibility that Advance auto might be of some help.

If anyone happends to come across that intermediate pipe please drop a post on here. This bugger seems to fit everything fro the 2.0 OHV for at least '84 to '86.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:10 PM
I'm sure it's a different part for the wagon, but I got a midpipe for my 1.8 coupe from AutoZone last summer, fit just fine.
Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:37 PM
I replaced the exhaust on my Pontiac in 2012 and took photos. Never thought about it at the time. Here is the photo of the intermediate pipe showing the same number - 46614! All the parts were from NAPA. I'm going to get in contact with and ex-coworker that works at a NAPA store now - and see if he can get this for me. Amazing how many parts do not interchange between the 1.8OHC and 2.0 OHV - not to mention between the Coupe and Wagon - but this one abviously does.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:16 PM
Ive noticed with exhaust, car makers seem to use the same pipes across their models; at least it LOOKS that way when Im behind other cars.

Many 80s designed GM products look to have the same bends; lots of Toyotas out there seem to dip down, then back up, etc.
Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:05 PM
Idk I generally take my rides to a shop here locally (small place) and have everything custom bent.This seems to the more effective way over piecing things and welded and my shop warranties all work!On my mazda truck had the entire exhaust done and that's a new convertor back and was 425.00 and stainless.Midas and meineke cannot touch this price and I had mine done back in 2010.I despise clamps and sleeves they tend to leak and make a mess of what should be a clean fit and look imo.I understand if your budget and or fix is small and sometimes a mend up with new is fine,but welding it up last so much longer and last for years.

Monday, January 13, 2014 9:34 AM
Check with my friend at NAPA this morning. No good. NAPA no longer carries this part.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:02 PM
I did mine from cat back in 2011 when I did the motor swap. Got everything from Auto Zone. Went together like butter!
Got it replaced back in the 90's at a local muffler shop with a lifetime warranty but he went out of business ( guess it was his lifetime).

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:34 PM
This is a fairly recent occurrence, John. I replaced the exhaust on the Pontiac a couple of years back and was having troubles finding parts for it then - but Chevy components were still plentiful back then.

Ok I have had some luck. There is a manfacturer called AP Exhaust Technologies. Their wares are sold through Fisher Auto Parts. I was able to locate 2 of the intermediate pipes available through our local store (one was located in a warehouse in Virginia, and another in Pennsyvania) - and as expected I snatched them up at $20 each. I do not know if there are any more available at any other warehouses, but I will inquire tomorrow. There are still some available on EBay as well using this number as well much cheaper than the $93 Walker robbery. There are about 60 odd Full Lifetime Mufflers available at Fisher too. Catalyitic Convertors are sold out at Fisher.

Looks like at this point I will have to mix brands to get a complete exhaust together. As I go along I'll add to the thread and let you know how it goes. At this time I am hoping to install a complete exhaust from off the Manifold to the tail pipe. I'd like to see one complete set on the old Wagon while I have it . Installing fresh at the Manifold would be helpful if I ever need to pull the drivetrain as well since I won't be trying to remove 28 year old frozen nuts and bolts.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:00 AM
No more available at Fisher Auto Parts either.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:28 PM
Double Vision!

Picked up the 2 - AP 68196 pipes today. Hope to try and get a couple more. There are still some left on EBay too. There is absolutely no doubt when I am going to be needing another one of these in 5 years thare won't be any. These 2 pieces of pipe only cost me $40! Of course the young man at the counter tried to charge me $30 each when I was quoted $20.

Yes I know I can take the cars to a muffler shop, but I just don't like people messin' round with my machines. Hell, I had to take the wagon just today to get the 2 front wheels balanced for the THIRD time today. Tha's right - 3 times I've had to go get a job done and I still am not sure the wheels aren't going to bounce like a jack hammer at 60mph. These are rare 175/80/13's too boot. It is crazy. Adding to my frustration - they left my window rolled down so the rain can soak my Caddy Leather seats. Madness... Everywhere you go it seems people don't care what they are doing at their jobs these days. Plus I'm Guess-timating it would cost me $500 easy to stainless each car and $1000 I do not have - to spend and hope someone doesn't screw up my old cars. Everywhere you go it seems people don't care what they are doing at their jobs these days.

Sorry for my rant.......

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:21 PM
Running duals in on the car heh!Just kidding I can understand trying to keep the cost low and if you can source the parts and keep it on the cheap go for it.I can say for both sunny and the forever(my mazda) I call it 87forever being I have owned it well forever the exhaust stuff is up to date.After dropping 425.00 or the truck and years back a bill or two for sunny things are done cost wise here I hope.I can relate to the shops jacking prices and especially the I do not give a s&^$ work done.That said today I helped out my wifes co worker with her 2003 Saturn vue had a cel.She originally had advance run a code check and popped the relay circuit for the cooling fan.The fan was fine just the Relay was clicking when COLD.Then last week took to a shop where they did a code check and said well you need a cooling fan and that will cost you 137.00 for the part plus labor.Now these idiots KNEW it was NOT a fan problem but surely wanted the $ to fix for crazy money.I checked today and used my new actron scanner and sure enough the scanner pointed out the problem.Not only did it say it was the RELAY but how much the part cost!! It said 11.00 but a touch off more like 17.00 and I replaced both relays it has 2 one for low fan spd and one for high fan spd relays.I knew the low was the problem as it was indicated but as insurance did both.Cost to her yep cost of parts only! I figure this way I build a relationship for some cake work on the side and code cleared and test drove to proper check.Seems shops focus on finding things to cough suggest doing or NOT doing to make a buck on the car owners lack of knowledge and pay for something they did not need.I am a honest person,explain what is going on,and rough cost and make suggestions based on real scenarios not BS My rant slash story bc orlen you open this book of snakes no worms in this area for sure.Glad you got the parts you wanted and just sharing how I try to help everyone I come across just not fluent with things I know and share.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:52 AM
Not to get off track here but I have a complete set of factory manuals for the Saturn Vue. Have three Vues in my driveway right now. Doing an auto to manual conversion on one for my 16 year old daughter that we got for $400 with a bad trans. So if you need any help with the Vue or S series Saturns I have a lot of knowledge on those cars.

Friday, January 17, 2014 4:27 PM
Been busy at work and playing with trains so not much car stuff. I like the pipes Orlen. My solution a few years back was to get the I-Pipe from a Cavalier Z24. I think it was a 2.5 pipe instead of the stock 2.25". It fit fine and the dynaflow muffler was $200 total. The cat got lost in the process too

Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:43 PM
I just ordered an AP Exhaust Pipe 68196 (Cverter to Muffler) From Amazon and it was less than $19. There was free shipping if I order over $35 so I also bought something else to get the free shipping on both.
The Car is a 1986 Chevy Cavalier CL 2L OHV Engine

I went to Rockauto and also looked on eBay and I got the AP Part Number. After that went shopping with that Part Number. I also sourced out some other Places with that part number just to verify that it was going to fit My Car.

1986 Chevy Cavalier CL 2L OHV Engine with auto Trans
Monday, October 27, 2014 8:58 PM
Well considering I was planning on my intermediate pipe rotting out way back in January I was very pleased it made it till almost the end of the year!!

I was THRILLED that the exhaust pipe with muffler I picked up at Pick N Save for about 12 bucks fit perfectly on the wagon today.

That shiny piece of pipe in the center is a sacrificial piece of pipe I can cut out and replace to reinstall the new intermediate pipe back to...

Amazing condition Exhaust for a Salvage Yard Find!

No more picking a Mike now - I also have the tail pipe poking out the rear too, Hahaa!!

So I can officially attest that an exhaust off a Hatchback will direct swap on a Wagon now!! Although it sure was a strange source for the Exhaust I was looking for back last winter! I took my receipt and the rotted out muffler back to Advance Auto and believe it or not they are PDQ\\\\\\\'ing a new muffler for free - be interesting to see if they have one and what it looks like!

The ole Gal has held up pretty well underneath these past 12 years, hasn\\\'t she!!

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:49 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:

No more picking at Mike now - I also have the tail pipe poking out the rear too, Hahaa!!

LOL ! You were just jealous of the exhaust on my Wagon and had to do the same ! ! !

~ Mike ~

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:20 PM
$12 Exhaust, great deal and it looks solid too. Plus having a new exhaust for winter is one lees thing to worry about during those cold snowy days.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search