Codes 35 and 44 on Cimarron and NEW PIC! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Codes 35 and 44 on Cimarron and NEW PIC!
Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:47 AM
53,000 (ish) miles on my Caddy. She's got a rough idle and shows codes 35 (idle speed error) and 44 (lean exhaust). Injectors all check out normal, as does the fuel filter. Recently replaced: map sensor, iac sensor and the oxygen sensor. Any ideas? Is there a better forum to ask my 2.8 engine question?

Here is my 83 Suzuki and my 88 Cimmy for your time.

Thanks!

1988 Cadillac Cimarron

Re: Codes 35 and 44 on Cimarron and NEW PIC!
Tuesday, October 27, 2015 9:09 AM
Lean and rough idle - perhaps fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, fuel pump.

More ideas to throw money at, but at least they shouldn't be expensive items. Eliminate the fuel system itself.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:17 PM
some of the guys on V6Z24 may know, 86-89 Z's had 2.8's.
Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:53 PM
These may help you.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:14 PM
Caddy Cimarron factory manuals can be purchased relatively cheap on eBay. Worth every penny for stuff like this.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 7:25 AM
I think I have that same book. It's been very helpful. It's why I have a new IAC, MAP sensor, fuel filter, O2 sensor, and have checked injectors, fuel pressure, etc. I don't have a scan tool but have gone as far as I will allow myself to go. Some of this stuff is over my head.

1988 Cadillac Cimarron
Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:10 AM
I have the 1984 Oldsmobile shop manual and electrical manual (not that I understand anything in that), but the shop manual has been very valuable since it has the Firenza and that interior is the same as the SkyHawk.
Thursday, October 29, 2015 6:53 PM
Bob Rebello wrote:I don't have a scan tool but have gone as far as I will allow myself to go. Some of this stuff is over my head.
If you have a laptop PC you can get an ALDU1 and CABL1 cable along with a program called TunerPro RT. This will allow you to scan and is actually much more advanced than a Tech 1 scan tool and far less expensive too. TunerPro RT is freeware, but there is a 10sec nag window when you first start it. You can make a donation to disable that, if you want to. However, after the 10sec, it is 100% fully functional.

http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl1-p-127.html
http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

Believe me, it may seem complicated at first, but it really isn't that hard to figure out, especially with the factory service manual. It will start to make sense very quickly and you refer to the manual while looking running Tunerpro. You can get help with nearly anything on forums and YouTube has a number of videos on it as well.

Well worth getting, since it will pay for it's self by pinpointing exactly what needs to be replaced, rather than buying sensors/parts that were fine to begin with (as many of us have done trying to figure out what it wrong).

Good luck
Monday, November 02, 2015 8:38 AM
SOLVED! Don't underestimate the importance of an idle relearn for the 2.8!

Here's a pic for your time - thanks for all your help!

1988 Cadillac Cimarron
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search