Severe bottom door rust. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Severe bottom door rust.
Sunday, May 08, 2016 10:56 AM
Hi People,

have a 1987 sunbird gt, (2 door) and man, the bottom of the doors have developed severe rust, even in FL. Both outer "skin" and inner door "skin" have rust which has migrated upward, beyond the "crimp" zone. meaning the lower say, 1-2" of both skins have to be cut out.

I understand this is not an easy body job since there are contours which have to be re formed/shaped, as the inner skin is rotted beyond the crimp zone and I jhave no idea how to shape such a turn/corner. One corner though is in great shape- it's the front corner which is rotted.

tried to search a used set of doors on car-part.com, but not happy with search results. Fix or search for used door? Ever fix such rotted doors, people?

Thanks.

Re: Severe bottom door rust.
Sunday, May 08, 2016 1:34 PM
Can be done, but in my opinion just replace them. You can find doors if you search long enough. Any door from 83 to 94 should fit. I may be slightly off on the years and there might be some modifications needed on the 2nd gens as the seat belts were in built into the doors.

Monday, May 09, 2016 11:50 AM
Thanks, 84. Good tip. My 2 doors dont have seat belt brackets/components on doors. But I will search. Hey, where would you search other than car-part.com?
Monday, May 09, 2016 8:36 PM
Check out your local junkyards or if you have a pull a part yard where You remove the parts you want and pay for the part not the labor cost with it.Easy in words but,the hard work if you find some solid doors you save in the cost over having a part removed,shipping and then you still have the rest to finish.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:54 AM
I'd also check the floor pans too, just in case. With the rust you speak of, I have the feeling the car has either been in a flood (common in FL) or it was up north during at least one winter.
LKQ has you pull it yards all over Fl. And you can see pictures of the cars on their yards on their site. 1990 was the first year the seat belts were on the window frame of the doors. So, try to find any good doors up to 1989.

Good luck
Thursday, May 12, 2016 4:16 PM
butch nackley wrote:I'd also check the floor pans too, just in case. With the rust you speak of, I have the feeling the car has either been in a flood (common in FL) or it was up north during at least one winter.
LKQ has you pull it yards all over Fl. And you can see pictures of the cars on their yards on their site. 1990 was the first year the seat belts were on the window frame of the doors. So, try to find any good doors up to 1989.

Good luck

Thanks, Butch. Good to know . Yes, Ive been to LKQ in the past, and there are 2 yards nearby. Thing is, every time Ive been there, no sunbirds, but you never know. They do not carry an inventory list, last time I spoke with them. Pictures? Really? Too much! Where can I find these pics of the junk cars in their lot?

Also, car has been in FL since 1988, just after 1 year of being new. I AM the original owner. Never been in a flood. Floor pans are still solid.

Thanks!
Friday, May 13, 2016 12:01 AM
Here is the link to LKQ Clearwater page, but you can use the 'Find A Store' feature to bring up the ones in your area. As far as I know all of them have the pictures, at least the 6 or 7 I check regularly do.
http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Clearwater-190/recents/
Friday, May 13, 2016 3:52 PM
Thanks again, Butch, tried it. Yup- no sunbirds anywhere. An endangered/extinct species.......
Saturday, May 14, 2016 9:02 AM
None here either................ closeby.....................................
https://row52.com/Search/?Year=82-87&V1=&V2=&V3=&V4=&V5=&V6=&V7=&V8=&V9=&V10=&V11=&V12=&V13=&V14=&V15=&V16=&V17=&LocationId=0&ZipCode=&Distance=50&MakeId=207&ModelId=3978&Page=1&IsVin= false

Try www.car-part.com ............. search just in Florida.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, May 15, 2016 2:18 PM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:None here either................ closeby.....................................
https://row52.com/Search/?Year=82-87&V1=&V2=&V3=&V4=&V5=&V6=&V7=&V8=&V9=&V10=&V11=&V12=&V13=&V14=&V15=&V16=&V17=&LocationId=0&ZipCode=&Distance=50&MakeId=207&ModelId=3978&Page=1&IsVin= false

Try www.car-part.com ............. search just in Florida.

Doug in P.R.

Thanks, Doug. car part.com does not even list a door for a 2 door car, which mine is. They list a front or rear, for 4 door sunbirds. Thats the problem. Also, that link you provided, I looked at it and there are 2 1986's. Isnt that the same car /body style as my 87? I thought they were. If so, maybe they could part with 2 doors..........
Sunday, May 15, 2016 2:19 PM
Oops, forget that idea- just realized they are BOTH 4 door cars. sheesh!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 3:44 PM
https://row52.com/Search/?Year=82-89&V1=&V2=&V3=&V4=&V5=&V6=&V7=&V8=&V9=&V10=&V11=&V12=&V13=&V14=&V15=&V16=&V17=&LocationId=0&ZipCode=&Distance=50&MakeId=207&ModelId=3978&Page=1&IsVin= false

this search above includes 88-89 doors that Car-Part also lists that fit. ( and as per Butch)

you have to check " 2 door exc convertibile"...... they also say cavalier doors fit also. Check car-part again, they list some in Alabama and Georgia too.

If I was in your shoes, I would take a door off and take to a reputable body shop to fix it one at a time if you have another car to drive in the meantime.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search