Need Alternator Bracket for 1987 Z24 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Alternator Bracket for 1987 Z24
Thursday, October 06, 2016 5:56 PM
Long story short, alternator killed battery in front of my local NTB - new battery didn't make it a block down the street so I decided to let NTB do the alternator swap (labor cheaper than the tow). First replacement alternator bad, then shop broke back alternator mount installing second replacement alternator.

Anyone happen to know a part number or source? Apparently the V6 2.8L is the same in camaro, firebird, and s-10 and there are some in the right age range at the local junkyards, but would like to get new if possible.

Or would jb-weld be good enough? The bracket that broke is on the opposite side of alternator from belt pulley.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Need Alternator Bracket for 1987 Z24
Friday, October 07, 2016 3:23 AM
There is only one bracket. I take it you mean that the mount the bolt goes through it broken off the bracket? No, JB Weld is probably not going to work.
Part number is: 10048645
Here is a picture of the assembly from the factory parts book.
Attachments
Alt Assembly.jpg (493k)

Friday, October 07, 2016 3:38 AM
Yes the "tongue" that bolt 7 goes thru snapped. I was tired when I posted this and forgot I took a picture.
Attachments
IMG_1138.JPG (937k)

Friday, October 07, 2016 7:02 AM
I don't know if you will be able to find a new one. I checked a couple vintage parts sites and none have it listed.
Also, I just saw the pic I posted had the numbers cropped off so here is another one with the numbers.
As for getting one off another car, they may be different, especially if the car uses a longitudinal engine. You should take the old bracket with you when hunting. I don't know if they have the number cast into them. It may have been a sticker that could be missing.
Attachments
Alt Assembly 2.jpg (466k)

Friday, October 07, 2016 4:31 PM
Someone that can weld aluminum should be able to fix it.............. some online gm parts dealers still list it but its unlikely. average price is $118 seen it listed as low as $80. check with your local GM dealer to be sure..........

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Saturday, October 08, 2016 5:12 PM
This should be the same bracket that is used on any 2.8 or 3.1 engine found in 'L' and 'N' bodies of those years.... Beretta Corsica, Grand Am, Slylark, etc... along with 'J's ... tons of them in the J/Y's...

Good Luck !!

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry
Saturday, October 08, 2016 5:15 PM
That helps a lot - got one coming from a guy in Canada, but going to scout the junkyards around here as well just in case.
Monday, October 10, 2016 1:42 PM
No luck in the junkyards around Atlanta- found a couple of correct gen cavaliers but they were 4 cylinder. None of the other models that old. I even looked at Buick olds and Cadillac models but no matches.
Monday, October 10, 2016 8:22 PM
Let me check around here at my two yards in Greensboro nc.I probably can't go till the end of the week if I can.

Monday, October 10, 2016 8:58 PM
I have a spare one from my 94 cavalier. Message me if you want it.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, October 11, 2016 9:21 AM
Appreciate the offers!

Rob - from what I've found in the junkyards the 94 won't match

Ron - don't make a special trip on my behalf... a guy in Canada is sending me I hope to have by Friday.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:03 PM
I'm going to a junk yard to see an 89 tomorrow after work. I have a feeling it is a 4cyl though. If it is a v6, I'll get the bracket. It has only been there a few days, so hopefully it is still pretty much complete.
Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:36 PM
I appreciate it butch
Tuesday, October 11, 2016 6:03 PM
88-94 used the same bracket.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:14 PM
Well, as I figured, it was a 4 banger. Damn thing doesn't even have a rear swaybar. I wanted to get a bushing bracket, but it don't have one.
There are a couple Gen 2, Phase 2 cars in Daytona. Pretty long drive for me though. Been thinking about going, but really want to remove my 88's trans this weekend to have it rebuilt.
I don't know of anything else locally for me to check. Though there are couple smaller yards in my area I haven't been to lately. I might be able check them out Friday.
Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:19 PM
I appreciate you taking a look for me. Second gen appears to be a different bracket, from what I've found. There is an 87 wagon here in Atlanta junkyard - considering getting its radio and wheels - it's a 4cyl, but not torn apart yet - can you send a pic of what you are looking for? Maybe I can help you
Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:21 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I don't really need it. In fact, for what I need one for, I could just take one off one of my cars. Sometime or other I want to grind down a set of 21mm polyurethane swaybar bushings to fit the brackets. They are a little too big to properly fit into the brackets.

I still might go the Daytona tomorrow. The cars are a 92 RS and a 94 wagon. Either one of them could be V6 cars,,, or not.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search