Little Better Battery Connection - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Little Better Battery Connection
Friday, February 03, 2017 1:35 PM
Over the years I have tried to figure out something better than those tiny 8mm battery bolts. They tend to strip those soft threads in the battery. The heads round off. They are impossible to hook a battery charger onto. I am a big fan of the side post battery, but not the tiny bolts.

This is my current mod to remedy this:

I pick up 3/8" threaded stock from the hardware store, and cut off 3" and clean up the thread ends so nuts will spin clean all the way through.

Also pick up 2 couplers ( they are conveniently located where the threaded stock is at) , 2 3/8 washers and standard nuts. The easiest way to ut the stock is the thread the coupler through and clamp the coupler to a vise. A cut off wheel on a drill does the job just fine. After cutting you can spin that coupler to clean off the threads at the end:

Lock the nut against the coupler, and thread the stock as far in the battery as it will go:

Next back off the nut and tighten the coupler up against the lug to get a nice snug fit. You are getting the maximum number of threads in the battery and lots of torque against the lug against the battery post for a great connection!

Next, take another lug and mount it in reverse against the coupler and tighten up with the washer and nut. Now you a second connection for added power or for extra grounds!

But the best is yet to come! The coupler make a Great place to hook up a battery charger or to use jumper cables with!!

Now I have seen problems with this when using it on cars with that Windshield Washer Reservoir right next to the battery , limiting clearance. My solution to that has been using 2 1/4 x 3/8 bolts with a nut backed upon the bolt. Tighten the bolt on the battery and ten snug the nut on the lug. You can still get a charger on this a lot easier too.

Re: Little Better Battery Connection
Friday, February 03, 2017 4:08 PM
Nice solution to an age old problem of the side post battery connectors. How many times have we cursed the cables every time they fell off the battery terminals when trying to jump start a dead car.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 12:13 PM
**** I am reloading these post since I was having trouble with this album loading up on here off of Google Photos. For years I used Picasa Web and had no problems with it till Google took the site over. Since then it has slowly become more and more like AOL,US Cellular,and WalMart. So now I have went with Photo Bucket which surprisingly has gotten better over the same time. Thanks for the patience and sorry about the Snafus.

Over the years I have tried to figure out something better than those tiny 8mm battery bolts. They tend to strip those soft threads in the battery. The heads round off. They are impossible to hook a battery charger onto. I am a big fan of the side post battery, but not the tiny bolts.

This is my current mod to remedy this:

I pick up 3/8" threaded stock from the hardware store, and cut off 3" and clean up the thread ends so nuts will spin clean all the way through.

Also pick up 2 couplers ( they are conveniently located where the threaded stock is at) , 2 3/8 washers and standard nuts. The easiest way to ut the stock is the thread the coupler through and clamp the coupler to a vise. A cut off wheel on a drill does the job just fine. After cutting you can spin that coupler to clean off the threads at the end:

Lock the nut against the coupler, and thread the stock as far in the battery as it will go:

Next back off the nut and tighten the coupler up against the lug to get a nice snug fit. You are getting the maximum number of threads in the battery and lots of torque against the lug against the battery post for a great connection!

Next, take another lug and mount it in reverse against the coupler and tighten up with the washer and nut. Now you a second connection for added power or for extra grounds!

But the best is yet to come! The coupler make a Great place to hook up a battery charger or to use jumper cables with!!

Now I have seen problems with this when using it on cars with that Windshield Washer Reservoir right next to the battery , limiting clearance. My solution to that has been using 2 1/4 x 3/8 bolts with a nut backed upon the bolt. Tighten the bolt on the battery and ten snug the nut on the lug. You can still get a charger on this a lot easier too. \

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 5:12 AM
Nice idea, I like the jumper cable access aspect of it!
I just put in an optima battery because my wagon wasn't starting when it was 0 degrees out & it has both side and top terminals which also help for jumping if anyone is interested.

• 86 Skyhawk wagon : 2.0SOHC swap, Megasquirt, 20SEH cam
• 93 Sunbird sedan : 2.0SOHC, Microsquirt, ported head, 10:1
• 88 Sunbird coupe : 2.0SOHC, turbo project car, giant tires
Wednesday, February 08, 2017 3:20 PM
I like you idea Orlen, and a little red paint on the positive one is good tip also... Which i always try to do. and Chris , l have had two dual terminal Durlast in my Silverado and loved them but both died due to bad cells so it now has my Sunbird's good Bosch battery , they both died just after the free replacement time frame. (Go figure and now like $144 too) Just have regular side post batteries now.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search