Convertible Driver Door Glass roller - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Convertible Driver Door Glass roller
Saturday, February 04, 2017 8:12 AM
Does anyone have a driver door with the glass and regulator in it. My rear roller broke. It is part of the lower support that holds the glass. I have not had any success identifying a replacement. I really just need the lower metal support with roller intact. The convertible is of course completely different from a hardtop. This roller is the one that moves up and down in the rear vertical track of the glass. Thanks..

Re: Convertible Driver Door Glass roller
Saturday, February 04, 2017 10:37 AM
You need one of these two types. The long one (74407) is useless on a 2nd gen, although they say it is for it. It will not work on a 92 or 94 and I doubt it works on any of the other 2nd gen years, based on ones I've seen. So it might actually be for 1st gens, I don't know though. You'll be able to tell if you need a long one or the short ones.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/dorman,74407,window+regulator+roller,11426

Here is the short ones that I know works on 2nd gens and may be the same for 1st gens too.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/dorman,74430,window+regulator+roller,11426
One of them has a threaded end with a nut and lock washer. It does need Loctite on the threads as they are prone to come loose without it. The other two peen on.

Here is a how to on the subject.
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/window-regulator-roller-install-guide-t128626.html

Hope this helps
Thursday, February 09, 2017 5:23 AM
Actually the roller I need is only on the convertible in the vertical rear guide track and is smaller than the rollers for the regulator arms. The track is a bit smaller. If someone has a parts convertible they might have it. It is the rear roller on the metal support that actually is attached to the bottom of the glass. It is different from the hardtop piece. Anybody have an old door or glass from a convertible door or parts car?

Thursday, February 09, 2017 12:28 PM
I do not have one. The local junk yard here near me had a few second gen verts and one 1st gen vert there last summer. If you are really in a pinch, you could give them a call (PM Me) and see if they still have it. If they do, I could get it in the next few weeks depending on weather and time off.

Saturday, February 11, 2017 9:44 AM
Www.Row52.com PIck N Pull. Inventory site

You can also sign up your type of car you need parts for and they will email you when a other shows up in a pick n pull lot

Also.... Www.Car-part.com site might have something too.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Saturday, February 11, 2017 5:04 PM
Well, after a couple of hours modifying one of the rollers in the 744030 kit I had a bolt-in replacement. Works great. My baby is back like she should be. Thanks for the input!

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:06 PM
Good to see you were able to get it going.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:36 PM
Glad you got it working. I couldn't find the roller you need for the run channel track in the GM part catalog. I may have missed it, but I tried to find it to get you a part number.
Anyway, at least you found a solution. If I do ever find it and get the number, I'll post it for you, just in case you ever need it.
Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:55 PM
I have a GM parts book and it was not listed as a separate serviceable part. That's why I was looking for the support. I had to take a larger roller and carefully cut it down to the width and diameter of the original.. I removed the original and bolted in my replacement.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search